Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pitiful Packards presented poorly.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Link to thread on AACA Website

Posted on: 2019/10/16 18:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Pitiful Packards presented poorly.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Link to thread on AACA Website

Ahhh. Interesting to see a photo I took in the 1970s and published in a copyrighted article in the 1970s. I still have the original negatives

It would have been nice if whomever pirated that copyrighted photo from me or one of my works at least asked permission to post it (they didn't)... or acknowledged where they pirated it from (they didn't).

I can assure you that when this photo was taken, it was anything but a laughing matter. It is sad to see folks today trying to turn this horrible event into a fun opportunity to make it a joke. It may be 2019, but that is still my work.

Yessss, the internet... the wonderful internet...

Posted on: 2019/10/16 19:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Leeedy,

Posted a link in the thread on the AACA Website back to this thread and the original poster deleted your photo and apologised for using it.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 22:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Leeedy,

Posted a link in the thread on the AACA Website back to this thread and the original poster deleted your photo and apologised for using it.

Thanks much for the heads-up and link. I repeatedly see my work posted all over the internet and in publications. The posters make it appear as if somehow it came from them! Usually they don't bother to ask for permission to use the item OR worse, they don't even bother to say where it came from! Many of the times, in my case I would probably grant permission to go ahead and use a photo for instance. But for heaven's sake, at least let me have credit for writing my own words or taking my own photos!

I have instances of whole sentences, even paragraphs pirated out of my writings with the copyrights and credits completely ignored. Often times when I protest seeing my work pirated, those who do the pirating just get angry-as if how dare I want credit for my work? How dare I enforce a U.S. copyright?

Not long ago a Packard-related article appeared with whole sentences out of one I wrote years ago. When I protested, the guy who wrote it went into a furor and denied what was very, very plainly obvious pirating. He then got others involved who ended up having to choose sides in a useless argument all over pirating. Why this continues at the rate it does in today's world of information is baffling. And why people who do pirating get indignant over being called on it is also baffling. So if the poster in this case apologized and removed it, all they really needed to do was ask permission...and credit the source. Period.

Again, when those photos were taken it was certainly not a laughing matter. It was a very, very, very traumatic event.

Thanks much.

Posted on: 2019/10/17 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
So let's see the photo??

Posted on: 2019/10/17 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Leeedy,

For those of us not up to speed with this incident, can you give us a little more back story? I click on the initial link provided and all it takes me to is a book review with a picture of what looks like a Buick on the cover. Thus, I don't really get what's being discussed here - can you humour me and fill in some extra details?? I DO totally agree with you re copyright infringement and rampant, blatant plagiarism. I have had quite a bit of material published myself and it seems once something appears in the public domain, everyone thinks it is just that: PUBLIC information. It's funny that when it comes to music, most entities go the distance to clear copyright hurdles but written text and photos don't get the same respect. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/17 18:43
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I think the thread on the AACA forums has been deleted and with it the photo of the piles of pitiful Packards.

It was a photo taken in a junk/scrapyard of partially crushed cars stacked one on top of each other. Most of the cars were contour and 55/56 Packards.

Seeing its Leeedy's photo, think it's up to him whether he posts the photo or not.

Posted on: 2019/10/17 18:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yes, I agree, Mal, re the reposting of the photo - I am just saying that when I clicked on the link you posted, it went to a book review thread that did not seem to have anything to do with Packards, not sure what happened there, but I couldn't find the photo being referred to here. .Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/17 19:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard newbie wrote:
Hi Leeedy,

For those of us not up to speed with this incident, can you give us a little more back story? I click on the initial link provided and all it takes me to is a book review with a picture of what looks like a Buick on the cover. Thus, I don't really get what's being discussed here - can you humour me and fill in some extra details?? I DO totally agree with you re copyright infringement and rampant, blatant plagiarism. I have had quite a bit of material published myself and it seems once something appears in the public domain, everyone thinks it is just that: PUBLIC information. It's funny that when it comes to music, most entities go the distance to clear copyright hurdles but written text and photos don't get the same respect. Chris

Hello... I am presently traveling and really don't have access to my deep storage photos. You can perhaps imagine that with over 100,000 photos, I can't possibly have them all digitized and accessible online.

Yes, I all too well understand about music and literary copyrights being violated. Long before I became an automotive professional I was in the music biz professionally at age 9. I got my first song writing contract at age 13. My stuff has regularly been pirated and I am presently working with someone to get some of my pirated works-music and literary- addressed (and I assure you, there are a PILE of them).

And frankly I am loathe to go back into the ugly Packard story since it was a time in the 1970s when clubs were fighting and there was a lot of vitriol in the air. Even I was accused of saying and doing things I never did or said. However, the one proud result of the event is that I personally managed to save every 1955 and 1956 Caribbean that was in the hoard by finding buyers for them.

One of those very cars is presently for sale in New Jersey and is fully restored. When I found it, there were no wheels, no front clip and one of the long torsion bars had been ripped out of its anchor when dragged on the asphalt pavement of a tow yard. In a very mad crush of time (no pun intended) I personally found a buyer for this car and later helped with its resurrection.

Unfortunately a huge quantity of Packards (mostly postwar since postwar Packards among some in the 1970s were unwanted step-children) were crushed. There were a lot of reasons given to explain away what happened. But those of us who were there know what the real reasons were. Hate can be a terrible aspect of the human existence, but in this instance, it was the Packards that bore the brunt of minds.

Posted on: 2019/10/18 7:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Leeedy,

Thanks for the reply and if 'going back there' causes you angst, then by all means, do not. I just wanted to understand the crux of the story and couldn't with what was available to me on the site here. No worries. I am a relative newcomer to the antique/collector car world and am fully cognizant that there would be lots of 'back-history' and yes, some infighting too, which seems to go with the territory when any of these clubs or groups exist for any amount of time. It's too bad it has to be that way, but I suppose it is in large part, human nature, and I have not been part of any group that doesn't have it's share.
I must say though, that Packard Info seems to have a reasonably tolerant and even-keeled tenor to it and even when tempers flare and words are exchanged, things seem to smooth over and we carry on. Good for us, right??
At the end of the day, the core purpose of what we do and what we're here for, is the restoration, preservation and promotion of the Packard automobile, which, in my opinion, is a worthy and even noble cause. The pedigree and proud heritage of Packard SHOULD live on and be supported and preserved by groups like ours and I'm not sure we all don't sometimes forget how important our part in that endeavor truly is. Again, thanks for taking the time, while on the road, to respond. Best regards, Chris.

Posted on: 2019/10/18 15:16
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved