Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Packard Super Eight fuel tank sending unit
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pack37
See User information
Does anyone know the correct ohms at empty and full that the gas tank sending unit should produce to correctly put the fuel gauge at empty and full. I currently get 6.5 ohms at empty and 44 ohms at full. This only puts the gauge between 1/4 and 3/4. This would be on a 1937 Super Eight. Thanks

Posted on: 2019/10/18 9:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Packard Super Eight fuel tank sending unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no one else has the info, as a suggestion you might see if KM Lifestyle would have the info and more importantly if they would share it. Since they are in the business of repro'ing or repairing senders they might want to keep it a secret.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Fuel_Senders.html

From the info on their website it appears Packard could have used one of 3 different brands in their fuel gauges and senders in 37 so the resistance value would probably depend on what unit is in the car. They have photos of the various senders so that might help narrow it down.

One of the brand gauges used was Stewart-Warner and I know one of their obsolete resistance ranges was 0 empty 100 full. I believe most if not all Clippers thru 47 used that brand and range but S-W might also have had other obsolete ranges before they settled on the current 240-33. Other brand gauges could be completely different. If you cannot find the info any other way, providing your gauge is working you can get a potentiometer such as this one and experiment to find what will give you a proper reading. 100 ohms max in the pot should be enough range if the gauge is reading a rough average half scale at 44 ohms but not knowing which brand gauge is in the car I can't promise it will be.

Connect one end terminal of the pot to ground and the center wiper terminal to the gauge wire and turn the pot until the gauge reads full. Disconnect the wiring and measure the resistance in the pot between the two terminals you used and that should give you a reasonably accurate number the sender would need.

Posted on: 2019/10/18 10:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved