Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

Alvin14, packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Polarity reversal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I assume this has been covered before but I'm not finding it.

My "new" '55 400 has undoubtedly had the battery connected backwards in the past by people not realizing it's a positive ground system. I repolarized the generator to correct the charging issue but find that the radio is dead. I seem to recall reading somewhere that is a common casualty of reversed polarization. If so, what specifically is damaged? Is it typically the vibrator (which is not vibrating)? The fuse is okay.

Any other damage that may have been caused?

Posted on: 2019/10/27 11:08
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Polarity reversal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Normally the stock Packard radios are not damaged with a reversal because anything polarity sensitive in the radio is fed by the internal voltage supply. That supply is generated by the secondary coil of a transformer and is isolated from the external supply. The external power is only on the primary coil side of the transformer which is energized by the vibrator. The internal supply has its own rectifier tube and will always stay the same polarity to feed the rest of the radio.

If the radio has been repaired, possibly the original vibrator was changed to a solid state version and those will be damaged or just not work. If the stock vibrator is still in the radio possibly it or another component just chose to fail at an inconvenient time.

Posted on: 2019/10/27 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I've confirmed voltage is at the radio but no vibrator hum. It's a stock looking vibrator. Guess I'll be pulling the radio. I see there are two separate chassis.

Posted on: 2019/10/27 19:44
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
When I got my '55 Caribbean the ground was backwards (see post). It ran fine with a neg. ground and everything worked great except the amp meter. When the lights went on it showed "Charge" and when it was rev'd up it showed "Discharge". At the time I assumed the meter was wired backwards until I read "Positive Ground".

When I discovered it, I switched back to a pos. ground and there were no issues. The amp meter now worked as it should. Then I wanted to update the radio while keeping the original look. I opt'd for radio from Aurora Designs which required a neg. ground to avoid additional cost(see post).

I have not switched the polarity on the amp meter because I don't want to take any changes with messing the wiring up by digging around in a tight space.

Posted on: 2019/11/4 19:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved