Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Long Clutch vs. Borg and Beck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm cleaning out the garage and finding some things I no longer need. Our tourmaster has a '40 110 and I bought electric wipers in the '80s thinking they would be more dependable than vacuum, which is right for my car. After Mr. Ficken fixed mine, I've had no issues, so I gave them away to our tour guy. I found a couple hubcaps only good for '40 and '41 120s that don't say 120. Looking for a home for those. I bought a '39 Cadillac heater for the guts and paddle switch which are spare parts for mine, but I don't need the face, doors, insignia so someone from the Cad club is collecting that. A Studebacker guy is picking up the '39-'41 Studebaker generator.

To get to THIS topic, I found a rebuilt clutch. It says on the box it's for '40-'50 356 Packard Cust 8. I can't figure out why I didn't use it. I did look in the book and early '40s like mine had a Borg & Beck. Later that year and 41-50, a Long clutch was used. But with the engine change decades ago, I suspect the Borg&Beck is long gone.

The worn out clutch in the photo is the one I had rebuilt by FleetPride (formerly Ott's). Since it looks a little different than the rebuilt clutch, I probably decided not to chance using it and had the old one rebuilt.

But could these be interchangeable? Is one a Long and the other a Borg & Beck? Should I keep this rebuilt one for next time or find a new home for it?

Attach file:

jpg  (140.31 KB)
1067_5df82ab04aa1f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (223.13 KB)
1067_5df82ad271afe.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (276.42 KB)
1067_5df82add13d22.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/12/16 20:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Long Clutch vs. Borg and Beck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The article starting on the third page of this service letter seems to say that depending on flywheels, pressure plates are not interchangeable but I believe I remember a later bulletin where they were going to issue service flywheels that could take either brand. It would seem the discs might be interchangeable although the November bulletin says the B&B disc would have a harder pedal on 110-120s.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL14NO1.pdf

Posted on: 2019/12/16 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Long Clutch vs. Borg and Beck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Howard, so I know these are not interchangeable now. And that 3 flywheels for the 356 engines were used for(1) Long, (2) B&B, and (3)Both.

These figures show the Long in Fig 6 (the one in the illustration matches the worn driving plate in the photo) and the Borg&Beck Fig 4 (matches the rebuilt one).

It appears my flywheel has holes for the Long only, but the illustration (the Motors Manual is from 1948) shows more holes in the flywheel, so perhaps this is the flywheel that works for both clutches, something to look for if you have a 356.

I imagine I could use this B&B driving plate as an exchange for a Long. I'll have to ask the usual suspects.

Attach file:

jpg  (547.29 KB)
1067_5df8423e9dc86.jpg 1788X1471 px

jpg  (477.40 KB)
1067_5df8424ccbd18.jpg 1751X1320 px

Posted on: 2019/12/16 21:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved