Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Clipper Resto Mod at BJ Auctions
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Does anyone know anything about this Clipper. It came and went quickly and not much of a description except the stock looking body had been placed and a much later chassis. It was stock looking and an attractive car.

Posted on: 2020/1/16 18:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: 1946 Clipper Resto Mod at BJ Auctions
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
From Barrett-Jackson's website.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1946-PACKARD-CLIPPER-240311

Sold for 20K + 10% fee

Lot #135.1 - This unique 1946 Packard Clipper four-door sedan has been converted to four-wheel drive. This is a true Resto-Mod. It was designed for all conditions for snow, dirt roads and interstate speeds. Its powertrain comprises a 4.3-liter V6 GM engine with throttle body fuel injection controlled by a GM engine control module, BorgWarner 4-speed manual transmission, Dana 20 transfer case and 3.07:1 Dana-Spicer differentials. Power brakes and steering, electronic cruise control, Vintage Air and an AM/FM/CD sound system have been added. WARN locking hubs are covered by Packard hex bosses for an authentic appearance. A block heater and rear window defroster equip it for extra-cold weather. Its exterior is silver metallic over dark blue urethane. It has a deluxe interior in Midnight Blue. A very extensive operator's manual and technical data are provided.

My wife and I saw this car Wednesday afternoon . . . nice looking car, but since the previous or new owners were not there I restricted the inspection to exterior and whatever I could see through the closed windows. I tend not to pay too much attention to old cars that were not left in original, or near original configuration.

We did look at the '55 Caribbean Convertible

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Docket/Scottsdale-2020/Collector-Cars/eaa62748-134b-4e79-af85-a1a5540828d6/01-11-2020/01-19-2020#237106

While we were looking at this one a roaming automotive expert came by and announced the car was a '55 Packard, and that this was the last year for the six volt systems in the Packard product line ???? At that point we went to one of the many concession stands and had lunch, which by the way was not a trivial financial proposition.

dp

Posted on: 2020/1/16 21:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Hey David...How about Breakfast at Dona Kay on Tuesday Morning...$10 regardless of what you order, coffee included! Ernie

Posted on: 2020/1/16 21:33
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks for the link. Like it or not, it looks like a well executed modification. If the Clipper was the answer, what was the question? I like to attend these auctions as they are a great car show with a wide variety of vehicles. I'm not there to bid.

Posted on: 2020/1/17 12:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Although I love 'original' when it comes to old vehicles, I can and do appreciate good workmanship and some of the design engineering ideas of 'tasteful' resto-mods. This one certainly seems to qualify in that regard and I believe it showed as selling at $22K - an absolute steal when the time and mechanical are considered. I bet that guy didn't get back two bits on the dollar of what he'd spent on it. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/17 16:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Packard newbie, I'm not sure about . Look at that 47 Packard sold for under $8,000. Put in a small block chevy and A/C you got $14,000 to play with, since that car sold for $22,000.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/1/18 18:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think $22k buys a very nice authentic Clipper

Posted on: 2020/1/18 19:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey, I'm the first to admit that you pros have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this hobby, But I DO know how stupid-fast one goes through money on any of these restoration projects. There was a post there within the last couple of days, kicking around the average cost of a paint job, and it seemed $20K was 'in-and-around' so to get that '46, looking like it did, new motor, and completely gone over, for $22K just seems extremely reasonable to me. The hours that must have gone into it?!?!?!? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/18 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
What do I know?!?!? I just went back to the Barrett Jackson site to have another look at that car and see it sold previously for $9350 in 2010!!! Buying it for that and reselling it after owning and driving it for 10 years and doubling your money ain't THAT bad!!! Don't listen to me..... Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/18 20:19
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved