Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Question about a 48 Station Sedan at Barrett-Jackson
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I knew I should have gotten a bidders paddle! The '48 Station Sedan hammered for $24,500! With the 10% fee that would be $26950.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1948-PACKARD-STANDARD-8-WOODY-WAGON-237265

I do have a question for the more knowledgeable forum members. I looked at this car on Wednesday, it was a '48 car with an instrument cluster that I associate with the 23rd series . . . the one with 'Packard' spelled-out in block letters under the four small gauges. Once home I looked in the parts book, my current understanding is both the R-9 and R-11 overdrive units (I think the R-9 had an indicator light that the R-11 didn't have, hence the two instrument clusters) were available for the 22nd series station sedans.

My question is "Was the overdrive type a buyer's option selection, or an in-process change on the assembly line?"

dp

Posted on: 2020/1/19 20:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Question about a '48 Station Sedan at Barrett-Jackson
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Packard did not change the instrument clusters until the 23rd Series came out but left them the same as the earlier 22nd Series when they changed over to the R-11 overdrive late in the 22nd Series. The indicator light for the R-9 was just not used or installed for the R-11.
The R-11 was a factory change.
Looks like someone installed a later instrument cluster in the auction car.

Posted on: 2020/1/20 1:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The price might not seam so low if you conceder the deficiencies the woodie has.

Incorrect upholstery and carpet
incorrect color on ear hatch supports
incorrect battery and hold down
missing top part of air cleaner
also car does not have overdrive

I am sure the list could be added to with more pictures or a visual inspection, however if it runs well and one wishes to put a surfboard on top and have a lot of fun its a good deal.

Posted on: 2020/1/20 10:04

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I'll bet the prior owner got a "good deal" on the auto upholstery.

Posted on: 2020/1/20 12:07
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Thanks BDeB for the info on the introduction of the R-11.

Thanks to Dell for the eagle eye observations, I guess the saying "ask the man that owns one" is valid.

When I was looking at the car (external walk around only) I knew the car was presented as a '48, while the instrument cluster was what I associated with a 23rd series design. My understanding is the removal of the overdrive indicating light was one of the drivers for that instrument panel change, and that lead to the R-9 / R-11 question. I wonder how the dealer explained the non-working jewel to the customers for those car equipped with an R-11 and a 22nd series instrument panel. I guess if one of your instruments is broken and you have another complete panel that works, why not? Plus the replacement speedo may be indicating less mileage.

Well I understand Packard history a little bit better. Thanks again.

dp

Posted on: 2020/1/20 12:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't the dash hole for the indicator light fairly small in the 22nd series so maybe not too visible a difference if not used. Here is the official Packard notice when they made the mid 22nd production change.

Attach file:

jpg  (199.97 KB)
209_5e25ef4623928.jpg 1294X1416 px

Posted on: 2020/1/20 13:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
For the 22nd Series, there were 3 small jewels for indicator lights in the lower centre of the instrument cluster bezel, red on the left for high beam, green in the middle for the R-9 overdrive and amber on the right for the directional signal.
The receptacle for the overdrive indicator light in the was eliminated from the rear cluster housing after the R-11 overdrive was introduced but the 3 jewels in the bezel remained.

Attach file:

jpg  (205.66 KB)
1137_5e2616f55ba7b.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (202.35 KB)
1137_5e26173de73ac.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (205.33 KB)
1137_5e26175ab042c.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (201.81 KB)
1137_5e2617762d9cc.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/1/20 16:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree. A typical auction car that probably started out sound until they "improved" it. When they look bad on the TV and in pictures they are really bad.

However, the entertainment value of wondering what poor soul got stuck is what makes that stuff worth following.

Posted on: 2020/1/21 18:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Question about a 48 Station Sedan at Barrett-Jackson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'll add a few items in this tear down: Wrong color - looks like a Chrysler color. Battery situation is a wreck, vacuum advance and choke stove lines are pathetic, needs a wiring harness, ignition wires, and those battery cables bug me.

Not a bad car for somebody who likes the car, but certainly not an "investment grade" cream puff if there is such a thing.

Posted on: 2023/2/3 8:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Question about a 48 Station Sedan at Barrett-Jackson
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
My comment about the economic appreciation was somewhat ‘tongue in cheek’. I agree with all of the observations of the items that would need attention to move the car closer to the way it originally left Detroit. I’m not really surprised that the current owner would like to maximize the sale price . . . although the car hasn’t sold yet!

Several pictures on the Barrett-Jackson web-site appear to be identical to the images in the craigslist advertisement. Either the current owner had access to the photos taken by the previous owner, or the vehicle never changed hands three years ago.

Posted on: 2023/2/3 11:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved