Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Stabilizer Bar End bushing orientation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Gents,
I am at the point of trying to reinstall the front stab bar with new bushings from Max/Steele. I've read as many posts as I can regarding creating a version of the official tool and directions from Heinmuller/Ross.

I think I am going to try the Heinmuller/Ross approach which is to use vise grips to squeeze the bar in as far as possible, then a C-clamp horizontally to compress the clip while using a small screwdriver to lift the top tabs over the top of the lower control arm and into the slots.

Just to be sure I am chosing the proper pain, what is the right orientation of the end bushings? They are rectangular. So do I put the narrow end in the channel and really, really compress the clip with the C-clamp? Or do I force the wider end into the channel so that less is sticking out to be compressed by the C-clamp?

thanks
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (246.66 KB)
120663_5e5ae6ffa30ea.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (290.07 KB)
120663_5e5ae7118277a.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/2/29 17:40
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Stabilizer Bar End bushing orientation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Having not heard any response on this, I decided to press on.

I slid the narrow end of the bushing in the channel of the lower control arm. With both sides in, I used a C-clamp to compress the very tips of the bar in as much as possible to compress the rubber bushing. Then used another C-clamp to squeeze in the clip. Once the two top 'teeth' of the clip touched the control arm, I used a little screwdriver to pop the teeth up and with a few more turns of the C-clamp, they popped right into their slots.

I've been dreading this task for a while, but it turns out it was very straightforward. This technique is different than what is in the SC but worked well. It is attributed to Ross and I read about it in info that Dwight Heinmuller sent me (attributing Ross) when I bought his new rear bushings. Very handy and THANK YOU to both.

Just wanted to close out this post with a positive account.

thx

Attach file:

jpg  (146.68 KB)
120663_5e814d9384229.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/3/29 20:38
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Stabilizer Bar End bushing orientation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sorry I didn't see your initial query, but well done.

Posted on: 2020/3/30 6:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved