Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

Tobs, John Sauser, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

526 generator dilemna
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Howdy all,

I have a 526 sedan sans generator. Over the years, I have bought what I believed to be correct replacements without tags. I now know that what I bought was wrong..., I have a CD-865 and a CL-896. My parts book calls for a CD-777, but I have seen referenced in other discussions that I should have a CG-678 - but my parts book says that that one (678)is for 2/3/4 series cars.

Since the generator is gear and not belt driven, the shaft length and maybe the bolt pattern are critical......,

Do either of the generators that I have match the length and pattern well enough to work? I'd hate to have these rebuilt and then start over again.

secondly, I've seen CG-678 for sale occasionally, but never a CD-777. Should I buy a 678?? CD-800 (I've never seen one either)?

Mr. Dyneto...., SAVE ME.

Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2020/5/9 16:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 526 generator dilemna
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I can confirm that the generators from a 1930 740, 1929 633 and 1922 126 all interchange mechanically. The generator parts of each vary considerably but the drive and mounting plates are all the same.

Posted on: 2020/5/9 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
"my guy" has pointed out that the two that I gave him have different shaft lengths...., I assume that your 740 uses an 865. If that is the case, maybe that one will work?
closer.

Thanks

Posted on: 2020/5/9 16:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Standard Auto-Electrician's Manual Edition T and other sources I looked at all agree that the CD-800 was original equipment unit. My Hollanders doesn't go back far enough to show interchanges,if no one else comes along with interchange info (and there is a lot of interchange between OD units), why not just call Jason at AER, that vintage Owen Dyneto units are a bit of a specialty of his.

Posted on: 2020/5/9 18:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Ditto on Jason... about the only professional left that thoroughly understands these units.

Posted on: 2020/5/9 19:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved