Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 250 in Australia
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
A nicely restored 1951 250 convertible for sale in Australia. This car is listed in the Registry on this site as having been owned and restored by Barry Smith in Tamworth. In excellent condition, LHD, manual with O/D, with a few mods such as wire wheels. Paint colour is not original. Plate looks like a reproduction. Presumably the convertible hood is new.

For sale by auction athttps://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotDetails.aspx?smode=1&lid=2277762. Bidding currently at about US$14,000.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.71 KB)
191498_5ef47cf8b61d6.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2020/6/25 5:31
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 250 in Australia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
It is a FABULOUS car - Barry does OUTSTANDING restorations.

Posted on: 2020/6/25 6:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

In 2007 saw Barry's Convertible at the same Long Beach yard my '41 Coupe was shipped from the US. First 2 pic's are it in the US yard, 3rd pic is when Barry picked it up when it arrived at Newcastle. The last pic, with Barry, shows the car at Port MacQuarie, after it's restoration between 2007 and 2009.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.13 KB)
226_5ef4872ed5b54.jpg 929X697 px

jpg  (71.40 KB)
226_5ef4873c73fb8.jpg 864X648 px

jpg  (81.37 KB)
226_5ef4875468276.jpg 864X648 px

jpg  (93.47 KB)
226_5ef488a4b693c.jpg 864X648 px

Posted on: 2020/6/25 6:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Mal

Yes, as Flackmaster says the car looks very well restored (and no doubt is). Typical Barry job.

If the paint colour in the old pics is original it does not correspond to the paint code on the plate, which I think was a dark red metallic (code "L" - not a Ditzler colour). Ditto the interior trim, which shows a code of "207". However, it is all leather which I think was correct for the convertibles. Barry apparently changed the 327 engine for a later one, and obviously fitted wire wheels.

Leeedy can probably pronounce judgement on the convertible roof.

It's a very attractive car, and quite tempting. Guess the price will go higher as the auction progresses, though. Right now, it must be well below restoration cost.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/25 20:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
b.wilson wrote:.....Barry apparently changed the 327 engine for a later one, and obviously fitted wire wheels....
Brian,

Barry sourced a 9 main bearing 327 4 bbl engine from a Vic PACA member. Car goes very well.

Posted on: 2020/6/25 20:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
As expected, the price of this car is heading north pre-auction. Now around US$15,500 but will undoubtedly go higher.

Spoke with Barry Smith who restored it. He did a lot of work on it. More rusty than expected. Then sold it to the Gosford Museum.

Now being sold at auction by Lloyds, the same people who ran the "closing down" auction for the Gosford Museum late last year. This one contains more of the cars stored away in sheds in the area, but by no means all. The earlier online auction run by Lloyds looked a bit dodgy - some of the cars which reportedly "sold" for silly prices have subsequently reappeared for sale elsewhere. Looks like the sales of the three Packards were kosher, though.

As usual Lloyds are talking up some of the lots in this one pre-auction, too.

The 1951 Packard 250 Convertible is a lovely example, but non-original in a number of ways. The VPN on the repro plate is apparently correct, but the original dog-eared plate has disappeared. It may have had an engine swap for a later 9-bearing engine. Barry does not recall.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Well, it was sold for around US$37,000 (about A$55,000) including buyer's premium. Lot of money for a non-original LHD manual car, but quite rare and in excellent condition. Will need recommissioning after sitting in a shed at the museum for some years.

I do not know who the buyer was. Perhaps they will surface in due course. Most likely local, although bidding was online.

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/26 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Ay Yai Yai, I loved this car ( totally not understanding why Barry got rid of it) and had no idea it was available. Looks like I shall have to do something with the 54 Caribbean resto which has been haunting the back shed for too many years. I have three to finish off. A 37 Super Dickey seat coupe which is about 85% done, a 38 Super 7 pass Convertible which has a very interesting WW 11 history, and a very original dismantled 54 Caribbean ( Green/white). I currently have 9 Packards on the road amongst a lot of other crazy stuff. These would be good to get on the road. When I cross "the Bar" the Worldwide price of steel will drop when they recycle all of the crap that I have accumulated. Stay well everyone....Peter Toet

Posted on: 2020/6/27 5:17
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Peter

Guess we both have the same disease, but you have more Packards than me. There's no known cure for it.

Why did Barry sell the 250 Convertible? Good question. He put a lot of work into it, and genuinely seemed to like the car. The Gosford Museum purchased it from him directly some years ago. Guess they offered more than he thought it was worth - as they did with many cars they purchased at that time.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/27 23:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved