Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 156

JW49, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Springs or mice
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
So my question is when did Packard stuff the springs of the seats to deaden the road noise and make them more comfortable? Or is it mine had a huge mouse problem?

Posted on: 2020/6/1 6:36
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: Springs or mice
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
On earlier modls they had individual sewn pockets around each spring filled with cotton. I would say for comfort...

Posted on: 2020/6/1 8:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an article on the 22-23 series seat construction in this service counselorhttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO8.pdf and another bit detailing differences in seat construction between models in the 48 fact book starting on page 15 of the Body Comfort section.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1948_FactBook.pdf Neither mentions any kind of stuffing inside the coils themselves.

I would suspect a mouse house would be distinguishable from a purposely done stuffing by the placement and type of material. I believe Packard would have used a formed foam rubber or neatly wrapped and applied material that touched and cushioned the wire loops whereas a mouse would have chewed and pulled out individual pieces from some close by layer of padding and just stuffed the space. Of course if a previous upholsterer had some ideas or reasons there was extra cushion material needed then it is anyones guess as to what might have been done.

Posted on: 2020/6/1 8:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I don't think the individual springs were "filled" but did have a sewn cloth "sock" on each.(at least was my '49 (23) The top was some burlap fabric and layers of cotton batting on top then the trim fabric. I could be wrong, going from memory, but I don't recall any foam. It's up in the garage attic, covered up, so can't say for sure at this time.

Mice will eat holes in it and nestle in for a long winter's night and if accessible would store food in there. But with all those tasty wires...who needs food. They're better wire strippers than klein tools.

I recall I set my interior out in the sun for several days after bug bombing(palmetto bugs) to get the odor down to a roar. Vacuumed 50 gallons of squirrel, etc. habitat from the rear seats. They even stored acorns in the motor. The unpleasantness of field storage auto rescue.

Posted on: 2020/6/2 19:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...In the days of the big Packards, premium furniture seats featured 8 way hand tied coil springs, some in pockets, I wonder if Packard used a system similar to the premium furniture builders? Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/6/3 8:55
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Ernie Vitucci wrote:
Good Morning...In the days of the big Packards, premium furniture seats featured 8 way hand tied coil springs, some in pockets, I wonder if Packard used a system similar to the premium furniture builders? Ernie in Arizona

To some extent I think they did. Not sure about the 8 way tie but the service article referenced above for the 22-23 series shows the construction on the seats with exposed coil springs in some areas and the pocketed springs in others. Senior seats got foam rubber in various densities and places in addition to the other types of padding.

In some senior models, seats were constructed in such a way that springs in certain areas could be swapped by the dealership for a custom feel to the customer's preference. A different service article mentions replacing some of the coil springs with those having a higher or lower compression rate than the standard in case a customer desired a different firmness. Don't remember the specific year it came out but think it also pertained to the 22-23s. As I recall it also gave instructions on securing the springs in such a way as not to have rubbing or a condition that could cause noise.

Posted on: 2020/6/3 9:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved