Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1937 "120" Running Board Rubber Installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Would anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips before I start installing new running board rubber matting purchased from Steele Rubber on a 1937 "120"? The replacement mats are flat bottomed so I was told by a person I met in Hershey to sandblast the running boards, apply bondo over the boards to make them flat, then apply formica glue to attach to the running boards. Before I start I would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has done this before.
Thanks
Dave

Posted on: 2020/7/17 10:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 "120" Running Board Rubber Installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If by "formica glue" you mean contact cement, that's what I'm planning to use, and what Steele recommends.

I believe that the Steele mats are EPDM rubber. The set I have are an older out of production model, and I see some bloom, which is not unusual. this is most likely a stearate lubricant in the compound, and chemically like a soap. I plan on wiping down the backside with a medium polarity solvent, like alcohol or acetone, before attaching them.

Posted on: 2020/7/17 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey David and John,

Not a bad idea to rough up the back gluing surface with some 40 grit or the like before applying the cement. Not only does it ensure no contaminants on the rubber's surface, but ANY rubber will adhere better with the smooth surface broken in a nice cross-thatch pattern. Gives the glue something to 'grab' on to. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/7/17 18:02
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
I just finished this on my '36 . First don't use counter top adhesive. After my first failure I called Weldwood and found some critical points. Use welwood landau top and trim #70798-00233 it has a 240 degree release the other stuff is 140 which is no good in the sun. It has a 1 year shelf life. I found it at a big box store and they remove all date codes on the cover so don't buy it, it's critical. When you do this make a roller 3 " in diameter and 3/4" wide. Start on the body side and roll the mat using 25 psi. into each valley. As you go clamp each valley with a 3/4" square board working across and it will line up perfect. leave clamped for 72 hours. This is a two man job to hold the mat of the glue as you go. There are other glues and methods but this worked great for me.

Posted on: 2020/7/27 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
when purchasing landau top & trim there is or is no date code? Order on line, ex. Amazon, from Weldwood? Rolling at 25psi on top of new mat to the top of running board with adhesive applied to both surfaces? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/7/28 8:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
The date code is a little sticker on the cover about 1" long it had the product code which is 5 then year of production followed by day of year. Mine read 519214 which is 2019, 214 day of the year. I bought it on amazon from Rochford Supply for $55.00. If it has a bad date code they will take it back and replace it, they did for me. To be a little clearer. the 3/4" boards go the length of the running board. All the information I'm giving you was obtained by finding a knowledgable person at Weldwood. The cans at big box stores have no date codes, Good luck

Posted on: 2020/7/28 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I appreciate the tips. for the clamps, I'm thinking that cutting the clamping surface in a curve for better contact with the valley would be a good idea.

Posted on: 2020/7/28 12:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
Follow directions on can, adhesive on both sides can be sprayed or brushed. I brushed, let dry until you can touch lightly with the back of your hand without sticking. then go to work. It's best to do it at 70 to 75 degrees. Sorry for the long story but there is a lot to understand to get good results.

Posted on: 2020/7/28 12:58
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
No, the running board is flat between ridges you want full cotact. Call me 603-8830230

Posted on: 2020/7/28 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm doing a 41, not 37. Running board cross-section is wavy and rubber follows the contour.

Posted on: 2020/7/28 19:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved