Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

Tom (Packin31), DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stuck Transmission Gearshift Shaft - '50 Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Out of nowhere, shifting my 3-speed got very stiff. R to 1st was free and smooth, but 1st to 2nd was a little stiff at first, then got progressively stiffer until I couldn't even move the gearshift to the right side of the "H" at all. I read some of the forum topics about removing the entire shifter shaft along with the steering column, but wanted to try a simpler approach first. That approach involved disconnecting the connecting linkages to levers 3.328 and 3.329 on one end, then removing the clips holding the levers in place. The bottom lever (3.328) easily slid down the shaft, exposing the selector (3.316), but the upper lever would not budge when I tried to move it up the shaft. I had thought the reason I couldn't shift from 1st to 2nd was because the selector was stuck in between the upper and lower levers, thus locking the upper and lower levers together because of dirt and old grease preventing the tab on the selector from settling into one slot or the other of the levers. But when the lower lever slid down, exposing the selector, it was clear the selector wasn't the problem. The problem was the upper lever being stuck to the shaft housing (3.325). I went to work on it with repeated doses of penetrating oil applied at the top rim of the upper lever - as well as tapping up on the bottom of the upper lever with a wooden dowel rod. So far I haven't been able to get any movement between the upper lever and the shaft housing, whatsoever. If the answer is to remove the entire assembly after all, how should I go about freeing the lever from the shaft housing, once I remove the assembly?

Attach file:

jpeg  (92.74 KB)
3098_5f39e51b121fc.jpeg 887X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/8/16 21:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Stuck Transmission Gearshift Shaft - '50 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Answers from same topic in Pre-War Forum.

Posted on: 2020/8/16 21:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you have not tried it-there is a small hole in the shifter column about 1/3 way up from bottom. Squirt some oil not wd40 into the hole-work the shift lever and/or let it sit over night. I was able to free mine up. It happened as recently as about 2 weeks ago. Good luck

Posted on: 2020/8/17 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2020/8/17 18:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Very common and been discussed here before a few times. I had to disassemble the '49s column to get the shifting back.
The same hole that is for oil is the source of water intrusion. A poor design.
You can disconnect the levers at the joints and check to make sure not in the trans.

Posted on: 2020/8/22 14:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved