Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stiff Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
My 50 Deluxe 8 was in semi-hibernation for the better part of the last 2-3 years while it was getting new upholstery, a new paint job, then an unexpected engine rebuild. Until the rebuild, it would be moved in and out of the shops under its own power pretty much on a daily basis. Soon after the engine rebuild, it was taken out on the highway for a 2-hour drive on the highway and overdrive was used for the first time in a long time. I was thrilled to find that the overdrive worked, but found that it was extremely difficult to move the control knob in and out. Is it possible to lubricate the cable or is it more likely something else is causing the problem? I will say that it engages/disengages a little easier now than the first time or two I tried it, but it is still pretty stiff. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 1:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Stiff Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Hi, Don,
Your car's 70. Probably pretty stiff all over, speaking from experience. How old are you trying to get it out of OD?

Seriously, are you pulling it out after you are stopped? Or still rolling?

Sounds like more frequent use might take care of it. I have a faint recollection of lubricating a cable under there, but I think it was the speedometer cable.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 7:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cable is a steel wire inside a steel housing and at the bottom another steel rod slides in a steel sleeve. Rust can form all along the cable and rust as well as road debris such as tar or mud can fly up on the steel rod making that hard to move if it gets pulled into the sleeve. If you continue to struggle with a stiff cable there is every probability the pot metal crimp at the back of the knob bracket will fail and allow the cable to push out of the bracket. You then have a repair on your hands.

I would remove the cable from the car or at least disconnect it at the transmission end so you can pull it up and completely lube the inner wire. That is done by gently coiling so as to bend the cable housing so the wire loops forming the housing and wrapped around the inner wire will separate slightly and allow some penetrating fluid followed by oil to get thru the small separations and reach the inner wire. Clean the rod at the transmission end to ensure nothing is pulled into the sleeve. Check for any cracks already developed at the dash end and if you find any place a two piece or split collar over the area so it does not get worse.

Attach file:

jpeg  (96.10 KB)
209_5f524d9f1c69b.jpeg 1280X485 px

jpeg  (44.17 KB)
209_5f524e1826938.jpeg 1280X530 px

Posted on: 2020/9/4 9:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
There was a kink in the overdrive cable on my '41 Coupe but it was able to straightened out. This post mentions it. Not the same as your Packard but similar.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 19:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Joe - my Packard is a year older than me. I can relate to the stiffness.

I've tried moving it both while rolling and at rest. It seems to be pretty stiff either way.

Thanks for your comments.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
HH - Thanks for the info. I see a split in the photo at the top end bracket and assume that's what you're talking about. I'll check mine.

Thanks for the info on the process of lubricating. Sounds like a good weekend job in the fall.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 21:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Ozstatman - thanks for the response.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 21:32
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

heatingman
See User information
I just found this post after I posted on Facebook for a way to repair my overdrive cable on my 47 and this seems like the best way to repair mine and Lube it up also. Is there a Packard Part number or does anyone have a place to get one as I just went online and found some but now need to measure and see what size I need.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 6:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have several extra cables if you are unable to repair yours. They are all used and will need TLC. Dell

Posted on: 2021/5/31 7:44

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved