Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bendix Treadlvac Rebuild Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
In the midst of tearing down the Easamatic system on a '52 300. I have the rebuild kit from Kanter on its way. I've found a lot of useful information in the forum on the disassembly and cleaning - but I still have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the leather seal on the vacuum piston. In all of the literature I can find, it just says install the leather seal on to the rear piston plate.

During the disassembly, the old seal appeared to be attached with some black adhesive. The unit appears to have been re-furbed in the past - so I'm not sure if this adhesive is normal or not?

Should I be sticking the new seal on to the piston plate? Or is it just held in place by the wick and retaining plate? If it is stuck down - what product is recommended to use?

The second question is related to the vacuum diaphragm. The one in the unit appears to be different from the service manual. The smaller return spring in integrated into the diaphragm and is not accessible - possibly a later replacement diaphragm part during the older refurb?. While I've got the unit apart, I think I should replace this diaphragm, but I can't find a source for it - does anyone have any suggestions on where to get one?

Thanks in advance.

James

Posted on: 2020/9/15 22:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Bendix Treadlvac Rebuild Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
James, some photos would help but, in spite what it says to the left, I am in the same area as you so can possibly even come by and take a look (if masks and social distancing can be observed). In the meantime, check my 1954 Patrician blog which is linked below where I was working on mine and I have quite a few more photos not posted that might help. That work starts around page 13.

Posted on: 2020/9/16 2:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This is perhaps not a great photo but it shows the piston down in the bore and once removed taking out the screws that can be seen and removing the steel plate, the seal just sits there. It should have no glue or adhesive of any sort but may be stuck with age.

Incidentally, the dust seal that is visible here on the shaft is not included with the kits but I have had some new ones made in case you want to replace that too.

Attach file:

jpeg  (172.10 KB)
60923_5f61c3411c96e.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/9/16 2:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?c8/404

Ross did this article on rebuilding power brake booster. It may help.
John

Posted on: 2020/9/16 8:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
You might want to watch this video also, I often find the more I know the better off I am.
https://youtu.be/LKbnYmPj9a8
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/16 19:16
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
Thanks Don - this was very useful. It looks like a prior rebuild they stuck on the leather seal when it wasn't needed. Possibly making do with what they had at on hand at the time.

I may take you up on some 'in-person' help in the future - this project is going to tax my mechanical skills - I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

James

Posted on: 2020/9/16 22:35
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
Thanks for the link John - this document has much clearer pictures than the original service manual.

Posted on: 2020/9/16 22:36
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
Thanks Wes - a very useful video - I've bookmarked that for future reference.

Posted on: 2020/9/16 22:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Keep in mind that the service manual photos and those in the Packard Serviceman's Training Manual were supplied by Bendix so are not specific to Packard. When rebuilding mine recently, I noticed several differences but nothing affecting the functionality.

Posted on: 2020/9/17 11:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved