Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Hello. This my 48 Deluxe. This is my first Packard and also my first attempt at a vehicle from this era so bear with me. Looks like I've got a good solid foundation to start with in my goal to make a good reliable occasional driver out of an oft forgotten car. Things I have in mind are exhaust, rebuild charging system, go through fuel system, replace all brake lines and sleeve all wheel+master cyls, flush and replace all fluids as needed, repl. hoses and belts, tuneup, paintjob (eventually), tires, and wire harness.
Not neccessarily in that order. It'll most likely go in the order of parts found. Typically, I get everything working how it was supposed to first. Then I'd have a better idea of what to improve, if anything.
Enjoy the ride!

Attach file:

jpg  (238.58 KB)
1470_49f0d62eda35f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (110.66 KB)
1470_49f0d64eb6ac4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (178.39 KB)
1470_49f0d66c4d0a7.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/23 16:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Quote:
...also my first attempt at a vehicle from this era so bear with me...

There's a lot of us in that situation. Believe you me these guys are a lot of help and will be there for you. This site rocks.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 19:47
-Carl | [url=http://packardinfo.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Chuck,

Congrats on the car. I think you will find it an enjoyable ride! This site has a great group of folks that will be more than helpful. In fact, I have found this site to also be motivational; with all the great work one reads about you start to feel guilty if you have neglected your Packard duties!

Welcome, and Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/23 21:45
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Chuck congrats on the new addition! BTW you know about as much as I did when I got my '54, and when I started, PackardInfo.com wasn't even a concept yet.

Everything comes with time and experience, hopefully the website helps you along the journey.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 23:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Alright! It's finally at it's new home. Work begins soon!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 11:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keep us posted on the bathtub, and if you need some trim items I may be able to help you.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 11:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Today was somewhat productive. Repaired wiring for generator, volt. regulator, coil, and oil pressure switch. Installed the missing grill bar. That went easier than expected since it was broke in half. Still, the end result is presentable. I changed the oil or what passed for oil. That has to be the first time I've seen large globs of sludge oozing out with engine oil. Hope to never see that again. Used 15w-40 diesel engine oil and some STP. That should clear most of the gunk out.
Afterwards, I put in a new battery and started it up and moved it back and forth a few times. The car fires right up and runs well. Unfortunately, the charging system is non-functional for now.

Attach file:

jpg  (167.23 KB)
1470_49f77374677ef.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.42 KB)
1470_49f7739bda4b1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (147.23 KB)
1470_49f773ba6451c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking good, and engine actually starting is always a positive. Don't recall anything in charging circuit as being problematic so guess just good old fashioned troubleshooting. Someone not too long ago mentioned having sticking or bad brushes.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on your description of the motor oil, I'd put dropping and cleaning the pan and the pump intake screen pretty high on my list of things to do.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Yeah, the pan's going to have to come off in the near future. I just don't have a gasket for it yet. I really didn't like what came out of there. The generator and regulator will get redone soon. I cleaned out the car. 2 large trash bags full from the trunk. Only found 2 mouse nests in back and some angry bees had taken up residence in the exhaust. Below is a pic of a missing side moulding. I have the piece (was in trunk) but I need the attaching clip for it. Someone pop riveted the other side's piece but not this one.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.89 KB)
1470_49f77db7d1c8c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/28 17:06
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved