Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Installation of Fabric Top Insert
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey folks, does anyone know of a service bulletin pertaining to the replacement of the fabric top insert on closed cars though 1939?

Thanks,

Posted on: 2009/6/25 21:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Installation of Fabric Top Insert
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never seen a service letter or bulletin on that, but I'm not suprised either, it was such a routine and common operation that dealers and body shops were well aquainted with the operation.

I did mine some years back, pretty basic and simple as long as the wood is in good shape. One problem is obtaining new molding, try your very best to save and reuse what's there.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Tim,

How strange you ask this question. As I am sitting here typing this email Harley dog starts barking and low and behold my roof material was sitting on the front stoop. :) Not sure when I will go to install it. Still have a lot of other things I need to get complete before I do get to it.

I will check and see if LeBaron Bonney (where I purchased the material and some other misc. pieces) put any instructions in with it. If so I will post it.

Good luck with your project....

Posted on: 2009/6/26 10:52
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Thanks for the help.

I have a service bulletin on the proper way to lower convertible tops and so I assume they must have had something on replacing fabric inserts.

This question comes about because I was consulted about the roof on a an original Packard Limo. (not as good as Turnquist's 39 but pretty good). After examining the paint I concluded that under no circumstances should the vehicle come into contact with rain or water because the original Packard paint job was starting to check.

This car is a museum piece and the the proper way to avoid customer disatisfaction is to go by the book. Given the situation with the paint I couldn't do anything because I couldn't put water on it anyway.

I wanted some quality written material because that is the proper way to approach a problem like this.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2009/7/2 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
What year, series, body style? Most are painted body color. The mouldings are available through LeBaron Bonney. It's essentially aluminum wireon and it's also nearly an art form to install it. Once installed it needs to be filed or leveled and finished in body color also. Many replace the OEM stuff with fabric wireon (the fold-over tackstrip covering). Looks like poo that way. Take your time around the corners. Good luck and post or PM any questions as you go. I'll be glad to help. We've done a few.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
This is a 17th series seven passenger which has had the insert replaced already. Visually it looks great, but the owner says it leaks. When I looked at the car and the paint I told the owner that the car can't be used in the rain otherwise the original Packard paint will start falling off in chunks. He was skeptical about my conclusion. I wouldn't put water on it because of the paint.

What I would like to know is whether Packard used any compression media under the tacking strip which if ignored would allow leakage. I was looking at a 15th series car that came out of a junkyard and it looks like the thing originally was just cheap pantasote with no sealer or flashing cement. Wow. So I guess the wood acted as the anti-drip media. That's not a great system.

I personally have never driven one of these cars in a torrential downpour and so I really don't know what to expect.

I have driven a Darrin in the rain and water poured in from everywhere. It was like being on the poopdeck of squarerigger under heavy seas. I got soaked.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 18:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've been caught in a couple of torrential downpours in my 34 Eight, last time coming home in pouring rain for hours from a CCCA Grand Classic - no leaks.

When I installed the new fabric top about 15 years ago, I was very apprehensive about the condition of the wood beneath it, but it was as sound as could be. So just how they sealed it I don't know, but they sure were waterproof under even very adverse conditions.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
LeBaron Bonney did not send any instructions they don't want to be held liable if roof material is installed wrong. Their installation directions are for Fords ONLY.

Here is a list of materials I purchased from them
Denim
Cotton
Black colonial grain (T-5)
Wire-on
Nails
Also purchased Rain Gutters, Fender Welting and Split Rivets

If anyone has any input on the best installation method. I would really appreciate it also.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 16:15
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey thanks,

I was looking at the junkyard car again and I notice that there is a raised inner lip that must act as the primary anti-drip method.

On the car in question, they put a sealer around the outside of the molding to cover the worn out paint.

I suspect that this could be the problem as water may the be backing up over that inner lip rather than draining from under the molding.

But again, I don't think this vehicle should be out in any kind of wet weather.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Tim,

If it okay with you I have posted some our questions on the AACA forum maybe someone there will have some input.

installation-fabric-top-inser

Posted on: 2009/7/16 21:23
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved