Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Seatbelts?
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but a quick search of these forums using "seatbelt" and "safety" failed to turn up much. As far as I've been able to find out, pre-war Packards didn't come with seatbelts or other safety features (besides maybe a padded dash??). Is installing seatbelts looked down upon, or points deducted in judging? And is it even possible without overly modifying the car? Is there anyone with experience in doing this?

Eventually I want to restore a pre-war Packard and I'm interested in keeping my family safe while driving it. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 13:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Seatbelts?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Seatbelts are the one modification that isn't deducted points at car shows and Concourse events.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 14:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Installing seat belts is a good idea in my opinion. Installing lap belts is relatively easy in late '30's and up Packards with steel floors. Installing them in cars with wooden flooring would be very difficult to do properly but I wil let others more familiar with these cars to respond. Installing shoulder belts would be difficult in any Packard and probably would could not be properly braced to be reliable in an accident. By all means install lap belts.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 14:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
KevinPackard,

Yes, definitely seat belts in pre-war drivers make sense. I also put lap belts in my Clipper.

I can't find a picture but here is a supplier I have used and appreciate the product. Mutton Hollow Chevy
I have used 10 seat belts in 2 cars

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-56-57-Chevy-Front-Seat-Belts-Gray-1955-1956-1957_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea341a0aaQQitemZ200307482794QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/30 16:32
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
I also added turn signals as essential safety feature on a driver. From my Owner Registry Page:
Quote:
Custom Modifications Modification Catagories: Modification Detail: Turn Signals and Seat (lap) Belts added for safety. [double bulbs added in rear turn signals and hazard lights]

It is nice to be able to hide them in existing lights or behind grille mesh, IMHO.

DanL

Complete entry at:
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=120

Posted on: 2009/10/30 17:31
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:
Should you realy care what other people think of you while talking about the safety of your family? Install belts.

Good point Guscha...of course nothing is more important than the safety of my family. I was going to install safety features regardless of what the answer to my question was...I was just interested in how other people viewed it this topic.

Quote:
I also added turn signals as essential safety feature on a driver.

So are there any other safety features can be or should be installed besides seat belts and turn signals?

Posted on: 2009/10/30 18:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
While at Hershey last year I picked up a 6V LED third brake light for my rear window. I feel a lot better with it on- I also installed seat belts and turn signals. I do go to local shows and cruise nights but mostly my car is used for driving.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 18:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
For Classics with very small tail lights, the 3rd brakelight in the rear window is a real fine safety feature. I did that on a 1939 LaSalle that has about 2 1/2 inch dia tail lights.

I got the idea after being at the Branson PAC 44th. I was following a 1936 Packard 120 with a 3rd brake light. I could not see the regular brake lights at 100' in broad daylight, BUT the 3rd brakelight was BRIGHT and obvious. I was sold on that feature.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/30 21:09
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I've done all of the above....plus I always run on modern radials. Its another safety feature as far as I'm concerned because the cars will track straighter and you don't get any surprises on uneven road surfaces.

Here is a side note concerning tires. Last summer on a tour, a fellow with our group broke away from the 'country road' route and took the interstate to return to the motel one afternoon. It was 90+ degrees, he was traveling 70 mph in his '64 Thunderbird and, you guessed it, a rear tire blew. Luckily he was able to control the bird, but just barely according to a fellow behind him. The tire in question had plenty of tread and looked fine. Problem was it was 19 years old! I know they're expensive, but if we're going to drive, we gotta keep 'em fresh!!

Posted on: 2009/10/30 21:41
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Denny
Not only have you done all the above BUT
You have changed your avatar photo.

Was that a safety feature move too?
(Hope your romance with your 41 Clipper isn't on the rocks.)

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/31 5:53
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved