Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 119

Packardbarry, bkazmer, Packard Don, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Looking for Gustave Baumann
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have copies of 12 illustrations Packard used in its 1909 calendar. They depict the models 30 and 18, the shops (factory), and a 3-ton truck. I may have found them on this site, but don't recall where I got them.

I believe these may be the work of Gustave Baumann (1881-1971), an internationally aclaimed block print artist, but so far can not confirm. These would have been done in the time frame when he was working commercially in Chicago. I know he did a block print art calendar for Packard in 1917.

Does anyone know of Baumann's artistic work for Packard besides the 1917 Twin Six calendar? There was an article in the Packard Cormorant in 1983 about Baumann's advertising work for Packard, but my library does not go back that far. I would appreciate it if someone look and let me know what it says about Baumann relationship with Packard.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for Gustave Baumann
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I do have that issue of The Packard Cormorant and will retrieve it and see what it has to offer.

PS - found the issue, Autumn 1983 (#32). Three half-pages of text, three full page color reproductions of Baumann's work from the Twin Six calendar I believe, front cover, rear cover, and page 22. Perhaps 4 other illustrations of his work for Packard, and what is believed to be one of his last automotive works, an ad for Moon from 1923 or 1925. Article states that he did work for Packard from 1917 thru 1920. Authors are Ann Baumann and Twil Griffiths, and illustrations courtesy of the Jamison Galleries, Detroit Public Library, and Richard Teague.

Had you posted your query over on the PAC forum I believe I could have scanned and posted the material for you, but over here on PackardInfo I think that would present a copyright issue. Many back issues of The Packard Cormorant are still available at reasonable cost.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks, O_D.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:50
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone know of Baumann's artistic work for Packard besides the 1917 Twin Six calendar?

OK, I've browsed the article and I think this answers your questin. Baumann did a work in 1914 for the Packard Magazine depicting a Packard and some gypsy caravans. He did at least 4 other woodcut covers between 1914 and 1917, at least one calendar (1917), and Twin Six ads thru at least 1920.

Off the topic, but it had been a long time since I'd browsed this issue which contained an article on PAC's 30th Anniversary meet in San Francisco, which featured Larry and Orville Dopps with the REQUEST among others.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, thanks for your research. This time period would have been after the 1909 calendars. I intend to have the illustrations serve as monthly images for a 2010 calendar. I am also giving a little background on the subjects of the illustrations. I wanted to talk about the artist who created them, and it would have been nice if I could have attributed them to Baumann. He had a studio in the basement of the Fine Arts Museum in Santa Fe which was just across the street from one of the locations of my father's Packard dealership.

Off topic, I am pleased that this search also led you to revisiting the PAC's 30th anniversary story.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving

Posted on: 2009/11/25 17:53
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Had you posted your query over on the PAC forum I believe I could have scanned and posted the material for you, but over here on PackardInfo I think that would present a copyright issue. Many back issues of The Packard Cormorant are still available at reasonable cost.

Okay, I'll post on the PAC website.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 17:58
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Once the answer is posted of there, if you can post a link to it, that would be nice and create a little cross-polination between the sites.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/11/25 18:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, good idea. Do you know how I can locate the images if they are on this website? I have done some noodling around, but have not been able to find them here. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 18:10
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, I don't know if the images are in the public domain, or if you'd need permission from the same sources as PAC apparently obtained permission when they used them.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I will first say that I know you have made many contributions to Packardinfo for which we are all grateful.

I am sure that you could have answered JW with a private email and shared the information with him privately.

As you the moderator for the PAC forum to come here and
give all of us a teasing answer and say in a coy way if you come over to the PAC forum, you will get the answer to your question. It wasn't the correct answer to give JW in public
considering the feelings of some in here concerning PAC.

Don't use this web site to give persons a half hearted answer then try and get them to come to the PAC forum for a complete answer. I am sure that it wouldn't take to much effort on your part to get permission to post the information here at Packardinfo that JW asked about.

I certainly hope that you once the information is posted at the PAC forum you post a link like BIG KEV asked you to do.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/11/25 19:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved