Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

31 standard 8 bucks like crazy driving up hills
Just popping in
Just popping in

appkril
See User information
My father has a 31 standard 8. We are packard rookies but not new to working on cars in general.

The car seems to run out well except that it will buck like crazy going up hills some times. When this occurs the engine starts to get hot.

I'm thinking that it my be starving for gas and running lean when this happens but i can't be sure. the fuel filter is clean and the fuel tank is clean and debris free. can anyone give me some tips for trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Kevin

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:49
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 standard 8 bucks like crazy driving up hills
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What's the gasoline delivery system, mechanical fuel pump, electric fuel pump, or some combination of those? Is it still updraft carburetion or does it have the retrofit kit to downdraft? Did the problem just recently begin and if so, what work was performed just prior? Was the weather hot enough to consider vapor lock? Ignition timing correct and centrifugal advance working?

Regardless of the above, first thing I'd do is to check the fuel pressure and flow rate at the carb.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
appkril wrote: My father has a 31 standard 8......
G'day Kevin,
to PackardInfo,

Sorry I can't help with your request but I'm sure you'll get good advice from those who can, instead I have a request of my own. If it's OK with your father could you please include the '31 Standard 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how it was acquired?

Posted on: 2010/4/12 1:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Kevin, Been there with my 29. Added a baffle plate between the univac and exhaust manifold, wrapped the exhaust pipe and added one gal kerosene to 19 gal of gas.
Also carefully worked the distributor over. Points were pitted, sanded them till even, pulled the plate and oiled the advance. Set everything back to spec and now seems to pull hills well. If someone has a solution for the point thing,I would like to hear it, a way to go to a single set of points.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 9:48
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Points conversion kit from Pacific NW Region of P.I.
Fits 6th thru 9th series Northeast dist. $100
John

Posted on: 2010/4/12 10:25
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

appkril
See User information
he car just has what appears to be the standard mechanical fuel pump. he's only had the car a few months and we just began driving it as the weather has improved. The carb is still the updraft as the vehicle is remarkably original. The filter glass bowl appears to fill well with fuel once the car is started but it's hard to tell what might be in there once we start pulling a hill.

I'm not sure what you mean about a baffle plate between the univac and the exhaust manifold. perhaps a more specific description could be provided if you please .

we will certainly take a look at the ignition system and points and look into the points conversion kit from Pacific NW.

I also like the kero idea in the fuel. We were directed to add about 1 quart of two-cycle oil per fill up for valve train lubrication. Perhaps we'll try the kero next time.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Kevin

Posted on: 2010/4/12 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I did the points conversion and it works well.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 18:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not too familiar with that era cars but you mentioned a glass filter bowl. If it's the type that has the ceramic filter element, I had an experience on a post war where the element looked clean and you could blow air thru but was clogged enough with varnish from sitting that fuel was just not able to get past fast enough so engine stumbled.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 19:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
29 has a vacuum fuel pump (univac) mounted high on the firewall beside the exhaust manifold. I fabbed a sheetmetal piece to stop direct heat from going over to the univac. Providing your car's mechanical pump is working well, doping the gas may help. With todays gas, one has to be very careful with old diaphrams in mechanical pumps leaking. The gas will disolve them! I put a elec pump under the frame on my 32 Ford v8 to bump the gas up when it starts to vapor lock in heavy slow traffic, usually it only takes a brief period for it to overcome the vapor lock.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 19:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
What does the kit contain to make this conversion? Are the points then some sort of common set readily available?

Posted on: 2010/4/12 19:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved