Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

forum entries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Is there any way to intersperse text and pictures?
I would like to have text appear below a picture followed by another picture followed by descriptive text, etc.
Is it possible to do this?

Posted on: 2010/9/25 21:44
 Top  Print   

Re: forum entries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

I've been able to insert inline images in posts by clicking on the Image Source button Click to see original Image in a new window
and the pop-up window that follows.

This approach is similar to using the Links button Click to see original Image in a new window
for creating hypertext links for URLs.

However, that technique only works with images that are already hosted, somewhere, online.

Otherwise, it's quicker for me to attach images with filenames that use letters, rather than numbers, to form recognizable words. When multiple image attachments are required in a single post, I then reference the image name in the preceding text.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would be a nice feature, but I can't think of anything I use which lets me do that on the fly either. My personal email does not nor does our corporate Lotus Notes. AACA forum also seems to put all pictures in a separate area with just thumbnails showing on the post and all in a bunch. Probably some technical reason for this only Kev could understand.

Maybe you could do something in an office program with tables or image specific areas with text between and then save that as an attachment the forum would like. Unless a jpg, probably have to download that to read it though.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 10:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, if an substantial number of images are involved, it might be better accomplished in a Word document, which could be attached to a post.

However, and extensive topic that requires more than one or two pages might do better if uploaded as an article.

I believe that some of easy-to-follow How-To articles that BigKev and others have contributed were composed in a table in Word, but with the grid turned off (that is, Borders set to "None" in Table Properties).

Posted on: 2010/9/26 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On a MAC, a jpg off a word document is easily done with built in screen clip functions. A Windows person could tell how to do it there.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.97 KB)
209_4c9f70525981f.jpg 610X789 px

Posted on: 2010/9/26 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
At first, I thought that I might have jumped the gun by implying that a Word document could simply be (directly) attached - rather than first converting it to jpeg format. Not sure about others, but the edition of Word that I have (2003) does not support saving as a jpeg.

As it turns out, the "Attach file" function, here, actually supports doc files, but the page does not display in the post. You have to click on it, and will need to a compatible word processor or viewer to open it.

Also, there is a limit to file size of the attachment.

Attach file:

doc Size: 222.00 KB; Hits: 78

Posted on: 2010/9/26 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The image and text in an office document solution would work well if someone has MS Word or MAC Pages or the free Open Office (available for either) and save to forum as a doc or pdf format. The download to view part is still limiting because you have to use bandwidth and time to download something blind --although not terrible for those with fast connections. Saving as a jpg on the forum allows the instant view part--though at some sacrifice of resolution.

A related question for Kev might be is there a quick and dirty way or program on the back end that could convert the first page of a non viewable attachment to a low res thumbnail visible in the forum to let the viewer decide if something is worth downloading.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks to all who responded. The simple route is to post the text and the corresponding jpg and then do a subsequent entry with the next jpg and text.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved