Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Radial or Bias Ply Tires???
Just popping in
Just popping in

Sean Davis
See User information
Hello fellow members

I was wondering what your over all opinions were on using Radial Tires over Bias Ply tires? Yes I know that the bias ply tires will look better but the radials will make the car perform better. I have even heard of people driving on radial tires and when they go to competitions they switch over to the bias ply tires. What are your thoughts??

Sean

Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Radial or Bias Ply Tires???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This thread from earlier this year has lots of opinions to get things started. It seems to be a topic no one has settled on a definitive answer for. As we are known to do, thread veers off in some related tire subject areas.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=51656#forumpost51656

Posted on: 2010/10/6 15:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I think it is a personnal preference and each person has their opinion. Mine centers on the fact that they don't call it radial tuned suspension for nothing. Our old cars were built with bia-plys and the suspension was made for those. I have had radials on my old cars and in my opinion the ride was like riding on a big fish, the rear end kept fish-tailing. the only reason I have radials on any of my old cars is because of cost and nothing more. If you can afford Cokers prices, get bia belts.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:05
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have Diamondback radial wide whitewalls on my 56 400 and it never rode so well. I would never go back to bias-plys. And as a personal preference, I would not buy Coker tires.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Had this decision to make a few months ago. Have a 1940 senior with 4 1/2 inch www. Radials were only 4 inches. Made for an entirely different look in addition to my thoughts that these cars (pre war) suspensions are not tuned for radial tires. Went with Lester bias tires from Universal and am very pleased. Of course this is everyone's own decision as to what they feel is best for themselves.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:52
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mr. DeMille
See User information
I have Diamondback radials on my '36 120b touring sedan. Ordered them from the Whitewall Candy Store in Orange, CA., who also did the mount and balance. No problems using the original rims.http://www.whitewallcandystore.com

Made a big difference in the handling and driving pleasure of the car. I highly recommend them. It did take five weeks to have them delivered because they are custom made from modern radials, in my case Falken radial SUV tires. You can read more about the process athttp://DBTires.com.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 17:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Sean Davis wrote:
Hello fellow members

I was wondering what your over all opinions were on using Radial Tires over Bias Ply tires? Yes I know that the bias ply tires will look better but the radials will make the car perform better. I have even heard of people driving on radial tires and when they go to competitions they switch over to the bias ply tires. What are your thoughts??

Sean

Sean, what year Packard do you have? How many miles do you usually drive it in a year? What speeds do you usually travel? Do you drive on freeways and interstates or surface streets and secondary roads? Are you concerned about the authentic look and show judging? How much can you afford to pay?

I have Diamond Back radial tires on my 115C. They are probably overkill for the kind of driving I do with this car. Never the less, I have been quite pleased with their performance and appearance.

Would I recommend them to someone else, probably, but it would depend on answers to my questions. Like others have said: In the end the decision is your to make. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/6 17:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I have Diamondback radial wide whitewalls on my 56 400 and it never rode so well. I would never go back to bias-plys. And as a personal preference, I would not buy Coker tires.

I totally agree with Randy's Coker statement. I spent big $$$ several years ago on Coker tires for one of my cars (a Hudson) and they didn't last 2000 miles. When I was driving my '56 Patrician, I had Michelins on it and it drove perfectly. Radial tires are the #2 safety improvement you can do to a car, #1 of course being upgrading the brakes. Even with stock drum brakes on a car, it will stop better with radials vs. bias ply.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My 56 came with Coker wide white radials. Can't speak to issues with Coker tires, but I wouldn't put belted tires on this car. Great ride and (I presume) better grip.

Others spoke of radially tuned suspensions. Does that have actual meaning, or is it hype? I realize the torsion bar cars are somewhat unique; how does that affect things?

Posted on: 2010/10/6 21:24
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good questions Pat. I think most of it is hype, but I wouldn't argue with any one person's experience. It is what it is. I have run radials for several years now - over 2,000 miles this year. I don't have my car judged because there are few folk capable of judging 55-56 Packards and I am too old to suffer those arguments.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:08
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved