Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 31

tsherry, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Darrin's 1954 Super Clipper Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
After introducing myself in the General Forum at this link:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5684&forum=4&post_id=61454#forumpost61454

I decided it was time to start my blog on my car's rein-CAR-nation.

It's now in my garage and I have numerous photos but have unfortunately lost the cable to my camera.

But in the previous post under General, I was told where to look for my build sheet, above the glovebox (which has a stamp on it stating Paint Scheme - KN and Trim Code - 45). Luckily it was there. I was at a loss because the paper had yellowed to a brown and was unreadable at first. However, after holding it up to bright light, I could make out the following:

5465 KN 2650 AF FD AT HE RFE(?) RR BU WB WS(?) FS SG
BL TT PB LS June 8, 1954

(?) indicates it was not fully readable; the WS could be a W8.

Near the bottom center of the sheet is a crooked stamp:

APR 28, 1954.

I am assuming the stamp is the day the car was ordered and that June 8, 1954 is the day it was built. I previously have found out the engine was manufactured 3-12-1954.

Other observations:

On the instrument panel's left, there are three knobs. The upper right knob is the light switch. I was confused what the other two were until tonight. The upper left know is a push in pull out switch with a red and black (dk green?) wires that lead to - the electric antennae. I assume pull out is up and push in is down but do not know as it is currently inop. The bottom left knob was the harder to figure out. It operated like a rheostat for the instrument lighting; rotating left and right. It did not pull out or push in. After tracing it both directions, it ends up being a front/rear fader for the speakers (the car has a single rear speaker in the trunk area on the driver's side).

One more thing, after following the guidance on how to prepare an engine after long term storage, I went through the steps of changing the fluids, putting a tablespoon of oil down each spark plug opening, spraying the lifters with PB Blaster, and hand turning the engine 8 full revolutions, I placed a battery on the car and IT CRANKED!

Well that's all for now. I'll post the pictures as soon as I find my cable.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 20:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Darrin's 1954 Super Clipper Club Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you were able to find a build slip. So many have disappeared over the years or became totally unreadable.

I can't say for sure they are the same & I don't think there is a 54 option sheet on site but a lot of the items seem similar to the 51-52 build options. If so, this might give you an idea as to what your car had.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/24-25th_Series_Options.pdf

There is also a 54 Clipper owners manual for download if you haven't found it already.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 20:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Darrin's 1954 Super Clipper Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Thanks.

This is what I have:

5465 - Clipper Super Club Sedan
KN - Bellevue and Gallahad Green "Metalli-Chrome" (Ditz-Lac Automotive Lacquer 41445 Ditzco Quickset Enamel or DUCO 246-57746 (Lower) / Ditz-Lac Automotive Lacquer 41445 Ditzco Quickset Enamel or DUCO 260-57374-H (Upper))
2650 - Sequential production number
45 - Green cord/green cloth interior
FD - Factory Delivery to Customer
AT - Ultramatic Drive
HE - Fresh Air Heater/Defroster
RPE - Radio, Pushbutton, electric antennae (It has a "wonderbar" in it)
RR - Rear compartment speaker
BU - Easamatic power brakes
WS - White sidewall tires
FS - Fender skirts
SG -
BL - Back-up lamps
HT - Hydraulic valve tappets
PB -
LS -

I'm guessing SG is solar glass but have no idea about PB or LS.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 23:25
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
PB could be Power Brakes.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 23:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
He has listed BU as Easamatic power brakes already.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 7:45
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Probably right on the SG. 55-6 lists that as solex glass. No idea on the PB or LS. Only mention of PB is 56 & obviously incorrect for 54 as it stood for push button. LS doesn't show either year.

EDIT: Brian mentioned LS as Lustre Seal & does show in 56 list. Possibly 54 also as that was some kind of wax or other finish on the paint. Packard was promoting that and something called Blue Coral treatment quite frequently.

Posted on: 2010/10/18 10:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
PB could be Power Brakes.

Or Peanut Butter....

LS is the extremely rare Canadian Les Stroud survival option. He came in the trunk and was there to help you survive any situation that you could possibly come across. Also made for great conversation on long road trips...

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/10/18 11:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Well, work continues even if my camera doesn't.

So, today I had a buddy come over to do a compression test on the engine with me. All plugs out, wide open throttle, and a freshly charged 6V battery.

Cylinder 1, 75 psi. Hmmm. Squirt of oil and retest 90 psi.
Likely worn rings...

Cylinder 2, 45 psi. And an audible whoosh with each compression. Damn, likely head gasket that I was hoping to avoid.

Cylinder 3, 90 psi. No oil required. Probably good.

Cylinder 4, 90 psi. No oil required. Probably good.

Cylinder 5, 75 psi. Did not retest with oil.

Cylinder 6, 90 psi. No oil required. Probably good.

Cylinder 7, 45 psi. Audible whoosh with compression again.

Cylinder 8, 0 psi. Uh oh. Didn't oil. Didn't retest. Did check to make sure the piston is moving up and down in the cylinder. It is.

So, I'll probably be taking the head off tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to get a head gasket? I checked Max Merritt and they had a complete engine gasket kit. Does anyone sell the head gasket alone?

Thanks.

Darrin

Pix coming soon. I promise.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 22:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Merritt sells the individual gaskets at $75

Dwight Heinmullerhttp://packardparts.org/parts.htm has them at $80.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.06 KB)
209_4cd61d3715e6d.jpg 1075X84 px

jpg  (10.01 KB)
209_4cd61d3e1d79c.jpg 593X124 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The bad cylinders may have stuck valves. A squirt of oil on the stem and a light tap with a hammer usually frees them. Be sure to tap exactly in the center, you don't want to bend the valve.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 11:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved