Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Some different takes on the Packard plant...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
The first link is to an article in Detroit's Metro Times:

http://metrotimes.com/culture/plant-life-1.1068126

And the second link is to Allen Hill's site (complete with webcams) showing life AT the Packard plant...

http://www.mycampage.com/packardproject

Although who knows how much longer ANYONE will be there? There're rumors once again that the entire place is going to be demolished (and probably just as well)...

Posted on: 2010/11/24 8:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Some different takes on the Packard plant...
Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
This is sure a surprise I thought the chemical co was the last survivor. Must be quite a life living there.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The City of Detroit forecloses on the Packard Plant in 1997 and promptly evicts something like 80+ jobs and revenue producing companies and lets the place rot. With that kind of thinking, no wonder Detroit is the mess that it is. I'd say the city deserves it but I've got in-laws living there (bought out GM workers).

Posted on: 2010/11/24 13:22
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I hope the local clubs figure out a way to snag the entrance as a facade for display in the Packard Museum, maybe an entrance or centerpiece to a multimedia space similar to the pieces of the Berlin Wall at the Newseum in Wash DC.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The City of Detroit forecloses on the Packard Plant in 1997 and promptly evicts something like 80+ jobs

No doubt a typical bureaucrat/political move.

Kick the tax paying businesses out, clear the land for re-development because some fat cat came along and said if there was XX acres, he would buy the land for a few dollars and tax breaks. Big promises of something having 100 jobs for every one displaced and new businesses paying huge property taxes--except they always seem to run out of money before much happens leaving a big mess at the site and in the courts or there is a loophole giving them an out none of the city minions caught.

That's been the Fresno mode of operation more than once but in this case also, after they foreclosed, didn't the owners take the city to court and it was tied up for years with no one able to do much of anything?

Posted on: 2010/11/24 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Joe:

The Packard Motor Car Foundation comprised of a lot of local Motor City Packard (PAC) members acquired one of the front doors several years ago. It is in storage at the PPG and awaits reassembly when more funds can be collected.

It did not come cheap. A Texas car collector wanted the front doors for his museum and price was no object for him. Well, there are 2 sets of front doors. He got one set and the PMCF got the other.

By the way, this is larger than a LOCAL issue. You should not expect the "locals" to do everything. If you do not live in the area, then you the give the PMCF your financial support.

http://www.packardmotorfdn.org/

Posted on: 2010/11/24 16:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Roger, thanks for reminding us about the PPG. Though I haven't done it recently, I've plugged it quite a few times on this site as a most worthwhile venture deserving of our support, as is this site, supported as it is from BigKev's pocket and those who support him.

One comment about the PPG - living fairly far away, I have always intended to come to one of their open houses, but always seem to find out about them after they are over. How about some advance notice of future opportunities to visit?

Posted on: 2010/11/24 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Owen:

We would love to show you (and anyone else) around the place. The PPG is open to the general public several times a year. Normally the Spring Open House is the third Sunday of April, but we have not nailed that down for sure this year. The Fall Open House (25+ Packards and 250 other collector cars in 2010) is the third Sunday in October. Motor City Packards and the VMCCA co-sponsot the Cars-R-Stars show the first sunday in June.

I have also planned a special day at the PPG during the 2013 PAC National Meet.

However, if you EVER find yourself headed toward Detroit, then contact me or any other MCP member and we will do pour best to get you in for a special tour.

Now that I am getting used to this posting thing I will forewarn everyone about the PPG Open House schedule.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Roger, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it. And if you're going to post a schedule of upcoming events, you might also post it over on The Packard Club forum, under "Events...".

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Dave Czirr

Posted on: 2010/11/24 18:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
and don't forget about the Packard Plant wood. i purchased quite a bit. it also helps the PPG as it is stored there and part of the funds go to them i hear.

www.authenticpackard.com

Posted on: 2010/11/24 18:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved