Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

bullsh--ter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A possible problem with an Ultramatic
Just popping in
Just popping in

The Amish Assassin
See User information
Hey, all...

I have recently become the proud owner of a Packard 352 and Ultramatic (okay, it's in a Golden Hawk frame, but never mind that...) and while moving it around under its own power I discovered something unexpected. 'Low' and Reverse work fine, but 'High' doesn't engage at all that I can tell. Am I missing something, or is it going to be rebuild time soon?

Also, is it normal for Neutral to lock up the transmission? I was trying to push it in Neutral and it acted as if there were a Park setting instead. Again, am I missing something?

TYK, all. Love the information here; gives me soemthing to think about while scraping rust. ;)

Posted on: 2011/5/9 19:01
In life, as in English class, style counts for 60% of your final mark.
 Top  Print   

Re: A possible problem with an Ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. I would double-check that first.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 19:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. No matter the frame, it's still a Packard at heart.

Agree with Randy as to what to check first. The 55-6 Packard service manual with details on the innards is on site here as well as a couple of complete Ultramatic volumes if you need to go further.

Being in a Golden Hawk frame, the linkage adjustment details will be a bit different. In case you don't have them, here are a few pages from the 56 Stude manual on linkage adjustments. When you disconnect the lever, when pulling the trans side to reverse detent make sure it is tight with no slop or lost motion between detents. The sector valve control lever inside the trans can have a loose setscrew to the shaft and also cause some similar symptoms. Throttle pressure adjustment is extremely important on the Ultramatic as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (182.71 KB)
209_4dc894ab2933f.jpg 1161X1600 px

jpg  (218.50 KB)
209_4dc894b3ccef6.jpg 1161X1600 px

jpg  (227.78 KB)
209_4dc894be7cf57.jpg 1161X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/5/9 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

The Amish Assassin
See User information
Ah, thank you both. I had assumed that since it went into gear it _was_ already adjusted, but there are subtleties here I'm not used to. ;)

And thanks also for the pages. I don't have access to a shop manual for 56 (yet) so it will be a huge help... as will the fact that the body's off the car and I can actually make the measurements they mention. Now I just need a dipstick...

Posted on: 2011/5/10 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I don't have access to a shop manual for 56 (yet)...

Then, by all means, follow this link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?308

You may also want to explore the Packard Service Index for 1955-56 Packards, which has many articles and bulletins in the Twin Ultramatic that may apply. You should, however, defer to any available bulletins from Studebaker on the 1956 Golden Hawk (56J model) - though we don't have many of those here.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 8:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you're not already aware of it, there is also a Golden Hawk site with some tech articles and other information.http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ Click on the options link on that page for more info. There may be others in the regular Studebaker groups as well.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 9:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
The Amish Assassin wrote:......I have recently become the proud owner of a Packard 352 and Ultramatic (okay, it's in a Golden Hawk frame, but never mind that...)......
G'day Amish,
to PackardInfo. And a request, could you please include your Golden Hawk in the Packard Owners Registry?

BTW - Love the Forum name, incongruous but conjures up all sorts of unlikely images. And the Avatar, speaks for itself!

Attach file:

jpg  (15.05 KB)
226_4dc9fd4d51441.jpg 350X350 px

Posted on: 2011/5/10 22:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

The Amish Assassin
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
Quote:
I don't have access to a shop manual for 56 (yet)...

Then, by all means, follow this link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?308

You may also want to explore the Packard Service Index for 1955-56 Packards, which has many articles and bulletins in the Twin Ultramatic that may apply. You should, however, defer to any available bulletins from Studebaker on the 1956 Golden Hawk (56J model) - though we don't have many of those here.

Heh... I managed to find those just before I got your reply, but thanks anyway. <ggg>

Definitely the adjustment. One has to be careful to make sure the shift goes all the way down to get into Reverse. And what I found also was that, once rolling, she shifts happily into Hi. So I guess I've learned more than one thing today. So on the list it goes. Danged list keeps gettin' longer and longer...

Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

The Amish Assassin
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day Amish,
to PackardInfo. And a request, could you please include your Golden Hawk in the Packard Owners Registry?

Done and done. I didn't know you allowed lowly Studes in there. ;)

Quote:
BTW - Love the Forum name, incongruous but conjures up all sorts of unlikely images. And the Avatar, speaks for itself!

<ggg> It does inspire some head-scratching, dunnit?
It's the monicker I use on the paintball field, you see...

Posted on: 2011/5/11 20:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
The Amish Assassin wrote:....recently become the proud owner of a Packard 352 and Ultramatic.....in a Golden Hawk frame.....)
AA for including your '56 Golden Hawk chassis in the Registry. Looks real good for a drivable frame, no doubt will look even better with a body on it!

Posted on: 2011/5/11 22:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved