Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 146

Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Add on Air 56 400
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
Hello,
I hardly know how to post on this forum, i enjoy reading it and would like advice on putting add on air on a 56 400. I am in the Kansas city and Des moines area, if any one knows of some one in this area that does this work or knows what all it would take to put it in please let me know. Thanks

Posted on: 2011/5/28 20:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Add on Air 56 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any number of aftermarket AC under dash units are available although the issue with some will be their size vs the glove box door location and the way it opens. Some units are more suited than others so will defer to those who have used them for suggestions on what fits well. If no one has other suggestions on an installer, Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air are well known companies with units for older cars and their products are sold by dealers. You might go the the Vintage sitehttp://www.vintageair.com/ download their current catalog and look in the back for dealers in your area. The 2009 catalog I have shows dealers in both cities you mentioned.

One issue will be that at the moment there is no engine compressor bracket commercially available that just bolts on with no further mods necessary. Essentially, whichever unit you select, you or your installer are on your own to provide a mount. Jack Nordstrom has a mount available but that requires removing the generator, putting the compressor in it's place and adding an alternator in a different spot with all those resulting modifications. You might PM or get in contact with Jack Vines on site here. He may still have some used original mounts available although some of those will require moving the oil filter. Perhaps he has another solution by now. If not, many on site have posted photos of mounts they have made using universal brackets or ordinary plate steel so there may be ideas you can use by searching thru some of the posts.

The other issue is the crankshaft pulley. Nordstrom is the only one I know of reproducing the pulley. His has the correct diameter and comes with proper mounting hardware and would be the best way to go. There is another much less expensive solution available by adding a second power steering pulley but issues there are after you get one, you have to supply the proper bolts to attach it and the diameter is a bit large for driving a compressor.

Here is Jack Nordstroms contact info and you can see his solutions by going to the Studebaker Golden Hawk sitehttp://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ click on Options and then air conditioner addition in the technical items column.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.28 KB)
209_4de1a758ab98d.jpg 281X92 px

Posted on: 2011/5/28 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Good luck with it. I've been trying to get my 56 Patrician air conditioned for almost a year.

Mike Dulinski is making brackets. He is listed here in services.

I am as unmechanical as possible, so my comments are probably biased by lack of knowledge.

My sqwak with the vendors is that they provide very little useful information and virtually no numbers on which compressor (or other components) is most efficient or powerful. All advertise expertise with cars like ours, but have precious little to offer in practice. Apparently, they are icapable of taking notes....

Another feature that bothers me is that the installer has to cut hose to fit. My concern is that the hose will not be reliable,,,,

As to the hard to find three ring pulley, some of the Sandens offer a two groove pulley, which means that you do not need the three ring engine oulley.

I'm getting an alternator put on my car so I have ample power, although many report running with the generator.

My mechanic is also fitting a six blade fan, after he enlarges the "universal" mounting centering hole.

Don't mean to be so negative; hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 13:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
patgreen said: As to the hard to find three ring pulley, some of the Sandens offer a two groove pulley, which means that you do not need the three ring engine oulley.

I saw a dual compressor groove drive setup on a Chevy site where the spare groove drove an added alternator. To my thinking, it was a somewhat bulky arrangement due to how they mounted the alternator but is an option. Since there are only two grooves on the crank pulley, would be interested to see how and where your installer is planning to drive the compressor --- via the PS belt position or the fan/generator position and the belt routing. Some have managed to mount and drive a compressor using a longer belt and stock everything else. Makes for a very long belt and interesting tensioning though. Both stock crank pulleys are the same size -- slightly larger than the AC pulley would be. Although the Sanden can handle it as compared to the older reciprocating piston units, that smaller pulley makes for a bit less stress on the compressor and less HP required to drive it.

Am curious to see what your installer comes up with for this application and Mike's mount. I keep hearing of another professional mount in the works but so far, no other info. Didn't know Mike was making any so with Nordstrom, his would be a third option if the other one ever surfaces.

Pretty much all hoses are cut and made as needed so as long as your guy has the proper beadlock crimper and fittings, there should be no issues there. Not too sure I would trust the old type screw hose clamp and fittings though--particularly if you are using R134a. If you would be more comfortable with professional hoses, then your guy could order custom made from Coldhosehttp://www.coldhose.com/custum-ac-hose.php or Rays Auto Airhttp://www.rayeveritt.com/Parts/Hoses/Hoses.html Not too terribly expensive but would take some added time.

Would be interested in seeing some pictures when you have it done.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 14:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is your mechanic head strong on doing things HIS way or is he receptive to suggestions????

1. a power steering pulley can be used to drive the compressor.
2. I belive Jack Vines currently has OEM used compressor brackets for sale.
3. As for the hoses as long as they are correctly made then there should be no problem.
4. The major consideration for cooling is the SIZE of the CONDENSOR!!!!!!
5. INSIST that the mechanic install a site glass in the refrigerant line.

As HH56 has indicated it is not clear to me either why the mechanic is wanting to use a 2 groove compressor.

What AC kit are u using????

Posted on: 2011/5/31 20:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I used Jack Nordstrom's kit and have been happy with it.
also I used Classic air system for hot rods but used the large size because the greenhouse in a Packard is large, I lost most of my glove box space but it is worth it.
I noticed classic air's instructions are not nearly as clear as vintage air's so you should download both sets of instruction but hopefully your mechanic is on top of installation.
good luck

Posted on: 2011/5/31 20:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Patgreen: Your 'squak' as u describe it with vendors is typical of most all of the bigger more popular vintage vendors everywhere regardless of the make/models they represent. Rare exceptions over the years.

The smaller or less known vendors and service providers tend to be more knowledgeable and always have excellent customer/public relations and ship very fast. The only problem with the smaller vendors and service providers is that they don;t have the wide variety of parts selection that the big boys have.

As for any squak u have regarding the air conditioning issue please keep in mind that adding AC to vintage cars over the years has been rather slow to catch on but it is now begining to pick up alot of popularity.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 21:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
As for any squak u have regarding the air conditioning issue please keep in mind that adding AC to vintage cars over the years has been rather slow to catch on but it is now begining to pick up alot of popularity.

It's one of many things I do not understand. I bought my car with the expectation of doing some touring. Driving on a modern expressway in a populous area is earsplitting with the windows open.

An air conditioned car is quieter inside by far---and that's without touching the obvious issue of comfort. Don't know about others, but I have much more stamina when cool....

If you are into being judged, I guess it's different....

Posted on: 2011/6/1 19:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes! I agree. the air conditioning is a must for me too. I am only trying to point out that adding AC is more or less a custom cut-and-fit process. Which means there will be headaches involved. It is not a simple bolt on accessory "kit" type process.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My car is in the shop now and all the pieces are coming together.

I had previously acquired a three ring pulley (original, since it was available).

I ordered the major components from Vintage Air: a 14x22 condenser, Sanden compressor and a cool only slimline underdash unit.

Mike Dulinski is making the bracket from VAs universal mount--the one that looks like two metal half moons.

I did not like the idea of do-it-yourself hoses, so they are being made by a local professional.

We are also adding a six bladed fan and an alternator, primarily because I drive a lot at night.

If you wish, I can keep you posted on the issues....

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved