Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

Mechagon, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The '53 made it home!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Howdy all! I posted last week that I would hopefully be picking up a nice '53 Clipper this past weekend. Actually, the wife and I left early (5:00AM) Friday morning on a one day, 800 mile +, 17 hour journey to complete the deal! Well my intuition paid off and I am now one of the "ask the man who owns one" elite! I'm VERY satisfied with the car's condition and the owner was very honest in his description. He and I conversed numerous times before I finally committed to make the trip based on his replies to my multitude of questions. This was one case where the photos of the car reflected it's true condition and it is a beauty! Disappointments in the car are few and for the most part are limted to a bent front sway bar and left mounting bracket where it looks like someone ran up on a tree stump or something. Otherwise, the front splash apron is secured with some kind of "hardware store" fasteners that allow it to rattle and other than requiring some underbody cleaning and detailing to the frame and suspension, this is a gorgeous car!...I'll be glad to post some photos if someone can tell me how to do it...and will also register now that the car is officially mine! Anyone know where I can find a good straight sway bar?

Posted on: 2011/9/12 10:08
 Top  Print   

Re: The '53 made it home!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. Here is general info on the photo posting

For the bar, no immediate ideas although there are a couple of guys with parts cars in your neck of the woods that may have something and see the the request. Shipping cost will be a pain from the regular used vendors. If it comes to that then Mike Dulinski 218-721-4831 or David Moe 425-334-7754 would be the best places to start.

To replace the bar, the upper bushings might be riveted in the clamps so a bit of a pain. You may have to cut the clamp apart. To reinstall the end bushings, be sure and look at the 1951 service counselors issue 5, 6 and 7https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?106 for pictures of the special tool and use instructions. While not absolutely necessary, easy to make out of a C clamp and using it, there is less chance of breaking a tab off the bushing retainer clips. Steel Rubber and possibly the regular parts vendors have new bushings which would probably be a good idea.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 10:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Will be happy to sell you a bar. Please PM me (ie, click on my name)

Luckily the brackets for the 51-54 are not spotwelded or riveted together, and are easy to change.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
HH, I tried the photo posting according to the instructions that KEV provided in the FAQ's section but I believe the originals are simply too large and just end up in cybersapce somewhere. Another possibility is that I'm posting from my work computer and we have a lot of firewalls in place that may be preventing a succesful post. Anyway, I'll keep trying but may need to attempt it from my home PC. Thanks for the information on the sway bar replacement too, the gentleman that I bought the car from gave me the Service Manual and the Owner's Manual with the car but I need to obtain a Parts Manual ASAP. Ironically, the Service Manual didn't go into very much detail regarding an R&R of the sway bar.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You can download the Parts Manual sections here.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks for the Parts Manual link JD, I'll use it with reverence!

Posted on: 2011/9/13 9:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved