Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard engine decode
Just popping in
Just popping in

davidms
See User information
I am looking for info on a V8 & Transmission I pulled from a 1938 Packard. I believe its a 1955 352. #'s on engine - 10 6 55. 440275-A. Transmission - Ultramatic 2 17 55. 450145. Engine runs good. Can anyone tell me approx. value for engine/trans combo. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (51.66 KB)
2508_4f43eab8bfe00.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard engine decode
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You've provided casting numbers and not engine and transmission numbers. While one might be able to infer whether the engine and trans are 55 or 56, having the actual numbers is better. Engine # is on the front, just adjacent to the base of the oil filler tube and on the flat surface above the water pump. Transmission # is on the rear of the main housing, just below where the mainshaft is attached. But it's even easier for the trans, cast iron case is 1955, aluminum case in 1956.

I'll let other comment on value, it's a topic I generally avoid. But V8 engines and transmissions are plentiful so don't get your heart set on much value.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting it came out of a 38. I believe Fred Perkins of the old Bryan Auto Repair made at least one such prewar install. Wonder if he did more and how many might be out there. As I recall, on the one I saw that combination was a very tight fit in the frame and body--particularly with the steering components.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess the tightest fit I've ever seen (in a photo) was a twin-supercharged Twelve in a prewar 120. It's a well-known photo, most recently seen in the current issue of Hemming's Classic Car. If you haven't seen it, try to get a copy of that issue.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved