Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bugs in the Trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Fellow Packardites,
While fussing around with my tail lights I noted some very small flying insects that have taken up residence in the trunk of my Clipper. So, naturally I am worried about upholstery damage. These guys are very small, about the size of a grain of rice and light tan color.
I recently took delivery of the car from the lower 48 and I am fairly certain these guys hitched a ride because - Alaska is virtually pest free save for our state bird the mosquito.
I am familiar with moth-balls but I understand them to be a deterrent, not an erradicator. Is there a method and/or a product short of an exterminator to kill the critters and insure no future damage to the wool upholstery?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/6/18 0:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Bugs in the Trunk
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I keep fresh cut pieces of cedar or cedar wood chips in a small container(s) under seat and in trunk of all of my vehicles as well as the house.

Not sure if cedar is easily avaialable in Alaska or not.
JJust have to be careful of the sap that exudes from any ffresh cut.

I never liked moth balls for interior use because they stink so bad.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 6:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'd just use a flying insect spray. Maybe a few applications a couple of days apart in both the passenger area and trunk. Just don't spray it directly on the wool. If the insect isn't native, that should take care of it.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks guys,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/6/18 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I agree with Packard bent eight. I use nothing but a bag filled with cedar shavings in my '47 Super. Mothballs
are toxic to us, to all life, as well as insects. Same with poison in aerosol cans. If a coupla bags full of fresh cedar shavings don't drive them out, then spray carefully as JD suggests. But then stick with just cedar to prevent them or their relatives from returning.

Cedar's also a nice, fresh, natural smell. Our '40s and newer Packards have woodgrain instead of real wood veneer,
which is the only place they come up short against R-R and Bentley, in my 'umble opine, so this is a nice bit of win-win in the healthier bargain.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
There is a pet friendly and people friendly insect spray on the market. Smells like peppermint, is all natural, and you don't have to worry too much about where you spray it. I had a lot of mosquitoes and other flying insects in my car, sprayed that stuff and it took care of them, as well as freshen up the car.

Link to their site:
http://www.ecosmart.com/products/ant-and-roach-killer/

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (17.53 KB)
3628_4fdfb30372e9b.jpg 333X340 px

Posted on: 2012/6/18 16:59
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I brought my car home it had rodents and a variety of nasty spiders taking up residence in it. Since the car was basically a wreck inside and out, I wasn't to worried about the environmental aspects of the bug spray I used.

I rolled up all the windows, and tossed on one of those "fogger" style bug bombs that was rated for an entire home and shut the door.

I managed to "super fund" the car. But I guarantee that nothing was left living.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
...I never liked moth balls for interior use because they stink so bad.

I was at a car show recently, and there was a beautifully restored '39 Buick. So I walked over to have a closer look, and upon examining the meticulously stitched interior, I was about knocked over by the smell of moth balls.

There's no way I could stand to ride in that car.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 23:51
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Amen. Aside from being toxic, carcinogenic, mothballs smell foul. You have to wonder why anyone would have a lovely old automobile that smells like dying geezers, a funeral home. Who wants to bomb around in that?
And these are some of the same zombies who wonder why younger people don't care about old cars unless someone's dropped a Chevy V-8, tilt wheel and velour upholstery in one. Ugh. Brain dead.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 14:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved