Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Opinions on Optima Battery
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Hello Everyone I am thinking of purchasing a brand new Optima red top 6v off of Craigslist for $75 I was wondering how everyone felt about them compared to other types of battery's. Again thanks in advance for the help!

Posted on: 2012/7/3 7:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinions on Optima Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Optimas certainly provide good service, that's clear. They do have some pecularities with regard to charging situations, or so I've read. Obviously you're not concerned about the underhood appearance of it which would be one of my objections. For the 51-54 battery boxes there is an excellent faux battery cover for enclosing the Optima with accurate replica fill caps and exposed lead cell connectors - gives absolutely authentic appearance (at a hefty price!). But I don't think that's an option for the Clipper-style batteries.

Though I don't recall offhand if the hi-capacity commercial lead/acid 6-volt batteries are available in your configuration, I do prefer them for the prewar senior cars with the battery box under the seat as they provide more cold cranking amps and generally give a good 7-8 years of service.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 8:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I love the way the original battery looks so I was thinking about leaving it as a dummy battery and mounting the optima under the front seat to keep the original look with the performance of the optima. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2012/7/3 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I would question whether there is enough room under the front seat, or are you considering cutting a hole and installing a battery box as in the pre-war non-Clipper Packards? Cable length and routing might be a problem in a Clipper. So would you have two cables going to the starter, one dummy and one live?

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 9:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you like the appearance of the original style battery, why not just buy the correct lead/acid battery and be done with it? Last time I checked they were about $100 from NAPA and with care should last 6 or more years.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 9:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I appreciate the advice I had just heard in other applications that the optimas were far superior I just looked on napas website they have two
BAT 7248 for $130 that says it is longer and taller and BAT 7205 for $160 that is exact match is there really any difference besides size that anyone is aware of?

Posted on: 2012/7/3 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 7248 has 1,035 cranking amps @ 32 degrees F. The 7205 has 750 amps. Before making any decision on the 7248, make sure the 7248 will fit your hold-down. My hold-downs fit the 7248 nicely, several others have reported that the hold-down is 1/4 inch too narrow.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 9:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Thanks Jd do you happen to have the dimensions of the 7248?

Posted on: 2012/7/3 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
According to NAPA:

Attributes:
Battery BCI # : Group 3EH
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F : 1,035
Battery Height : 10"
Battery Length : 19-1/4"
Battery Voltage : 6 Volt
Battery Warranty in Months : 30
Battery Width : 4-1/4"
Brand Name : NAPA Batteries
Contents : (1) Battery
Wet or Dry : Wet

"Important Information: Replacement Battery is Longer & Taller than OE
Hold-Down &/or Tray Replacement may be Necessary"

I think it's interesting that NAPA emphasizes the length and height as being different and yet it seems it's the width that causes Packard owners problems.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just hop on the NAPA website and read about it.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBE7248_0345714849

They give 10" height, 19-1/4" long, and 4-1/4" inches wide and note that the dimensions do differ from the OEM battery as this one is the "commercial" or heavy duty battery.

Difference between it and the 7205 is 1-1/8" in height and 1/4" in width.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved