Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Help with purchase selection
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
New here.The members make this a wealth of knowledge which I have spent many hours reading. Now I would like your opinions on making a auto purchase. These are my two options. 1953 Clipper Deluxe.59700 miles.Extensive repairs in last 4 years. Orig 2 tone paint.This is a driver, no problems, everything works. Second option, 1948 2262 4dr sedan.15,000 orig miles. Orig Paint,nearly all options were purchased when new. Interior is unbelievable clean.Owner sent pics of slight body damage over the years, very up front.It also has the ElectroMatic trans option. Every thing.works, it is a driver.Owner has taken two 500 mile trips no problems.Both are close in price,but I will have to spend at least $1500 to move the 2262 and I could posssibly drive the clipper home. I know in 1953 Packard was struggling with money and labor strikes. Was the build quailty better in 1948. Some think both models are ugly but I like them both and these are models I could afford. I am no mechanic so I am not looking to spend hours doing that.I just want a auto I can enjoy.I would see each car before a final decision. I look forward to all opinions and advice. Thank you!

Posted on: 2016/1/24 22:43
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Re: Help with purchase selection
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I say buy them both, a man can not have to many Packards.
John

Posted on: 2016/1/24 22:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fredinflorida,
to PackardInfo.

I'd suggest it will come down to your inspection and driving of each Packard. From my viewpoint the one that is in better mechanical condition, assuming the bodies on each are in similarly good condition, would be my choice.

Anyways.........whichever one you choose, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the interior on the 22nd series is a big plus

Posted on: 2016/1/24 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Mechanical condition-also check the chrome very expensive to have redone. I assume both are 3 speeds stay away from the auto trans. I would learn as much as possible on how to maintain the thing yourself-you can get up side down very quickly in the old car hobby. And as someone told me-it costs the same to restore a pedigree car as a std model.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 9:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If mechanically they are similar and both in good shape then I'm of the opinion the best interior would win. Finding original fabrics for both could be a challenge but the 22nd series I think has the edge for quality and just the overall look and how the interior went together. I don't believe the mostly painted plain looking dash of the 53 comes off quite as nicely as the more chromed and woodgrained 22nd series. Of course, both chrome and woodgrain are expensive to do if those are in poor condition.

IMO, the only real downside to the 22nd dash is the lack of lighting and identification on the controls if you plan to do any night driving.. If the light kit was installed over the buttons that alleviates part of the issue but the other is the instruments themselves. The Flite-Glo concept was interesting and worked in its time but if the luminescent paint has died or flaked off then even removing the UV filters over the bulbs and reverting to ordinary light can still result in dim instruments. Refinishing the gauges with new luminescent paint might be an option and some have done or are doing it. A few that have report the undertaking is tedious and time consuming. Some don't like the idiot lights but even with them, one thing in its favor is the 53 dash has good visible gauges and easy to find controls.

While the 50-54 regular Ultramatics are not too troublesome, if the 53 has one and it has been abused or worked on and shortcuts taken by someone not knowing the unit then that is an expensive repair. The normal driving range takeoff from stops with the Ultramatic can best be described as leisurely so that can be an issue for some. The engines are basically the same and share a lot of parts so a tossup there.

If the 53 has power steering and power brakes then maybe a bit easier to drive but that would be personal preference. If it does have power brakes then by all means one of my first suggestions --even with low miles-- is to have the unit gone thru by a reputable rebuilder. Too many have just started driving a car after the power brake unit had been sitting and now have tales to tell.

Posted on: 2016/1/25 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Important additional criterion:

which one puts the bigger smile on your face?

Posted on: 2016/1/25 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
bkazmer has really asked the most important question!

Posted on: 2016/1/25 12:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
thank.s for your input. I bought the 2262 1948. It took about 2 weeks to get transport completed. You mentioned reading the gauges at night. They light up pretty good, but those dash buttons are unreadable at night. I had to get my flashlight out to read them. i guess Packard wanted drivers to memorize them. You mentioned a light kit was added above them so they could be read. Is that still possible?
Any help would be appreciated. thanks again.

Fred Wiley, fred_fl2002@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:48
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on finding a car you like and yes, that non illuminated switch knob decision was not one of Packards better ideas. Bob Neal covers it in his book.

The light kit was a chrome bar which attached just above the knobs and illuminated downward. Could be wrong but I believe the chrome housing covered a light transmitting plastic bar with a bulb at one end. Lucite comes to mind as the name of the plastic which would transmit light and was part of many science experiment or projects popular with kids at the time. If you have Bob Neals book on 48-50 Packards, a photo of one of the kits installed is on page 33. Its a black and white photo and a bit small so maybe someone here could post a more detailed photo.

I would think with the number of parts cars around that one should be able to be found. If no one here has something David Moe at Seattle Packards might be a source. I don't think Gerry at Packards Southwest deals much in those years but he has some items from that era so maybe worth an inquiry.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 16:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved