Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

what is it
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jlw
See User information
this was removed from inside a trunk between fender well and quarter panel. Is this even used anymore

Attach file:

jpg  (118.31 KB)
26561_5831d68ecc491.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/20 12:00
 Top  Print 

Re: what is it
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Looks like a jute rope. Depending on the year it could be used to make the space between the metal sound and/or water tight. My '49 uses a pitch based material similar to dum-dum. Today they'd call it seam sealer.
They used this around drain plumbing also. You fit teh bell and spigot together and tamp it in the space at the flange then pour molten lead on top to create a seal.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 12:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that was a sound deadening material to keep the wheel well and outer fender from oil canning and touching and also to keep the fender from drumming. In some cases it may have also been a kind of seal to slow any dust or fumes in the trunk from passing thru the wide open channel between the two into the inner parts of car. Have also seen big gobs of body putty used in that area in addition to the factory rope like material. The putty may not have been factory applied and maybe was more of a reinforcement by a dealer. Pre 51 Clipper style bodies also have similar stuff at the rear of the trunk floor to fill a void between the floor panel and the outer skin.

With the different body construction today not sure if it is still used much but there are some modern equivalents such as form rod advertised for the same purpose at some restoration material places.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 12:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jlw
See User information
thank you for the info i was thinking it looked like oakum

Posted on: 2016/11/20 13:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Oakum would probably work well in the application but don't know the diameters it comes in.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved