Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Swich dash super 8 1938
Just popping in
Just popping in

Andi
See User information
Hello, I'm restoring a super packard 8 of 1938 and I do not know what the two console switches that are on the ends are. If anyone can help me.
Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (172.92 KB)
150443_58694b9635f86.jpg 1920X1079 px

Posted on: 2017/1/1 13:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Swich dash super 8 1938
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

SaddleRider
See User information
option - factory-installed heater & defroster

Posted on: 2017/1/1 13:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just for reference here is the dash illustration from the 38 Super Eight and Twelve owners manual with no sign of any accessories installed.

It is nice they went to the trouble of placing the switches in the dash on the senior models and appear to provide indicator lights in the speedometer face showing when one is on rather than just placing the switches under the dash edge as they did on other models. I take it the other two switches might be for for fog or instrument lights??

Was that indash location only an option if the factory installed the accessories or was the dealer given instructions on how and where to drill the dash and mount switches if accessories were installed at a later date?

Attach file:

jpg  (178.30 KB)
209_58695385da3b8.jpg 1920X787 px

Posted on: 2017/1/1 14:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Andi,
Not too many members from Spain, to PackardInfo!

And I invite you to include your '38 Super Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/1/1 16:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

SaddleRider
See User information
The copy of the manual you posted shows a "bare bones" dash.

The one "Andi" posted is from a car with factory-installed options. On "Andi"s, the center two knobs are for the factory-installed radio (that's the center dial). The two center main knobs are - left knob is "on/of" and volume. The little lever on that knob is the "bass-treble" control. The right knob turns the station selector. The little lever is the "range/sensitivity" switch.

Of course there is no radio in the dash - what you see in the center is just the control head. "Bowden style" cables connect what I have discussed above, to the actual radio cabinet bolted to the firewall.

A review of Packard technical and sales literature confirms a buyer was offered an extensive assortment of accessories. Prior to the creation of the "Junior Division" (for the 1935 model year) factory literature did promote dealer's efforts to sell accessories.

Of course in theory a Packard dealer would install pretty much whatever a buyer wanted to make the sale.

After 1934, there was a separation. For the "Junior" Division, Packard had quite a set-up display it sold to dealers, to helped push "add-ons".

The Senior Division sales program (again, concurrent with the creation of the "Junior Division" was quite another matter.

To put it delicately, factory people correctly recognized there were...shall we say..."cultural differences" between the buyers of the Junior and Senior Packards...!

A review of the Senior Divison's "SALESMAN'S DATA BOOK FOR 1938" has several pages with photographs of what could be ordered with the car before it left the factory. Unlike the "Junior Division" literature, it is silent about the possibility, if any, of dealer participation.

Once the big change took place, if there were any provisions for the Senior Division sales folks to do what was acceptable in the "Junior" Division, I am not aware of it.

Posted on: 2017/1/1 16:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Andi,
for including your '38 Super Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Note - Duplicate entry deleted.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 16:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael-Twelve
See User information
I have 2 cars with this same instrument board but without the additional holes, both cars were originally sold in California without heaters. My 38 super 8 in the distant past had a Packard heater installed with the typical underdash switch. Interestingly the dash board indicator light glows and slowly flashes when the heater is on, did not think they would go to the trouble. Would love to see the backside of the panel to see what that switch looks like. Andi can you take a picture? . Does anyone know if that switch was used in other years? Can not find anything in the parts or service manuals. The knob might be sourced from a radio knob. At one time Yesterday radio sold those knobs for 1938 and 39, but I heard he shut his business down,

Posted on: 2017/1/5 1:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
At one time Yesterday radio sold those knobs for 1938 and 39, but I heard he shut his business down,

Jerry has a notice on his old webpage that LaVine Restorationshttp://lavinerestorations.com/ bought his business and tooling and that he has taught their staff to make the products that was in his catalog. I did not see any info on the LaVine site as to buying the business or whether they have restarted production. Possibly they would still be a source for the metal radio parts but that is one of the current unknowns.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bondolover
See User information
Quote:

Michael-Twelve wrote:.... My 38 super 8 in the distant past had a Packard heater installed with the typical underdash switch. ,

. . .

You lost me with that "typical under-dash switch" comment. May I presume you meant an "after-market" heater switch?

I know - I know - of COURSE it can get damn cold in the winter even in the coastal cities of Southern California!

But times and culture have changed - then, it was quite common for folks not to want to pay for car heaters, which were universally an extra cost option! Then, after a while, common sense could take over, and they'd go hunting around for "after-market" compromises, sometimes even going to a legit Packard dealer for help.

Yes, Packard dealers did have "after-market" heaters to sell, made by outside suppliers, but often provided with Packard "logo". I presume that is what happened with your car, and explains the "under-dash" heater switch.

The only "under-dash" switches on '38 Senior Packards as they came out of East Grand Avenue would have been switches for the interior and dash lights, the rheostat to dim the dash panel lights, and of course the clock re-set knob.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 13:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
You lost me with that "typical under-dash switch" comment. May I presume you meant an "after-market" heater switch?

Not aftermarket necessarily. Packard factory heaters had mostly out of sight vertically mounted underdash switches on many of the prewar models. Some were illuminated and others not. Here is a service counselor illustration for 37 heater installs. From what I have seen most of the 38 and 39s were done in a similar fashion utilizing two large factory holes that were in the dash edges. What brought on the questions and comments is because that Super Eight dash with the nicely integrated switches is not what is seen on the lesser models.

Not sure when they went to the below dash hang on switches with the labeled plastic housings and knob facing passengers -- maybe 39 or 40??

Attach file:

jpg  (133.08 KB)
209_586e998a321af.jpg 1748X968 px

Posted on: 2017/1/5 14:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved