Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to rebuild a 1937 115C steering box?
Just popping in
Just popping in

gskordahl
See User information
I can't adjust the 4" of play out of the steering. The adjusting screw on the steering box has no effect. The linkage to the tie rods are tight. The problem is in the steering box.
Gary

Posted on: 2017/1/13 18:50
 Top  Print 

Re: How to rebuild a 1937 115C steering box?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gary(gskordahl),
to PackardInfo.

I'll leave it to the experts to comment on your question, but invite you to include your '37 115C in the Packard Owner's Registry.

PS - If your 115C isn't already in Rick Sladen's database, Rick is PAC's 115C Registrar, I'm sure he would welcome yours aboard.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 19:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Several options -
First is LARES in I believe Ohio that I believe can rebuild yours. From the usual suppliers - rebuild "kits" are available, but they merely provide the bearings, seals and gaskets - more of a "maintenance" kit if you don't really have a significant problem.
Second is you do it yourself. there are really only two parts to the steering box (beyond bearings and seals); the cross shaft and the column shaft. If the cross shaft is worn (most likely suspect), it will take a machine shop to repair, or alternately obtain a replacement. The column shaft, with the worm gear pressed on is less likely to be your problem, but if it is, a replacement will be required. There are two bushings in the steering box, most unlikely that they are worn unless your steering box went dry and someone filled it with sand. I will be happy to consult and provide parts as required. As fumble fingered as I am, "even I" have rebuilt several of these. I can ship you a rebuilt box, ready to install if you're...
Of course another option is to have someone else local do this for you, as its not the most fun job to remove the steering box from the car without a lift...but once removed, as noted, not a difficult or complex job. I can/will post detailed photos archived on my computer when I return home next week.
If you get your column out (or at least free from the pitman arm), its pretty easy to diagnose the cross shaft with the box still in the car....

Edit - added photos of steering box components - Note per Ross' reply the stack of shims under the cross shaft and the dowel pins they sit on. if there are too many shims, the cross shaft sits too high above the column shaft, result is play in the steering. In this box, there were 5 shims - the thrust plate is much thicker with a beveled edge to match the machining on the cross shaft. Once the pitman arm is removed, the cross shaft can be lifted up/out for inspection. The Roller of the cross shaft is the #1 failure component in the steering box.

Make sense?

Attach file:

jpg  (136.67 KB)
439_587b8276d328e.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (146.92 KB)
439_587b82ab88fba.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (230.55 KB)
439_587b82d8ce72d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/1/14 9:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hello gskordahl
I sent you a PM (personal message). I too live in Vancouver WA, I sent you a welcome and my contact information. Check the upper left corner of the website and you'll see a "Red"indicator that there is a message in your inbox.

Posted on: 2017/1/14 10:44
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Before rushing off to spend money, please note that tightening the screw on that gearbox will not affect the adjustment. That merely holds the crosshaft down onto its thrust plate. To adjust play out of that style you must pull out the cross shaft and then lift off the thrust plate which is located on dowels. Remove a shim from under the thrust plate, reassemble, then snug the adjusting screw, and try it. One or two shims will usually do the trick if there is no other nasty damage. All of this is easily done with the unit in the car.

Of course you will also want to look carefully at the bearings of your center idler arm. A little play there will make for very sloppy steering.

Posted on: 2017/1/15 6:23
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
Please remember to protect your lower oil seal by first wrapping the steering box drop arm splines before removing then later replacing it! I assume you have read your workshop manual.

Posted on: 2017/1/15 15:41
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved