Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

A car I have been offered is it a Packard?
Just popping in
Just popping in

ccarney69
See User information
This is in a barn on an employees property, the owner has sadly passed recently. I have been offered to see and purchase if desired. I collect cars from the 60s and know nothing of these cars and need some professional advice. Thanks for any info on the car and approximate value. He said he also has a lot parts for this car. There has been no discussion of price so far. Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  (242.45 KB)
171590_5a4ee8712da7f.jpeg 1080X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/1/4 21:59
 Top  Print 

Re: A car I have been offered is it a Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a Buick.

Posted on: 2018/1/4 22:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information

Posted on: 2018/1/5 1:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice call DavidM, my error but at least I knew it wasn't a Packard. And a Willys-Knight it is!

Posted on: 2018/1/5 8:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
More rare than a Packard of the same vintage because of the Knight sleeve valve engine. Nice. JWL

Posted on: 2018/1/5 12:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Willys history makes good reading, dynamic personalities, lots of huge ups and huge downs. During the teens era they were the 2nd largest maker of automobiles in the country, exceeded only by Ford Motor Company. They also were the parent of AutoLite Electric.

Posted on: 2018/1/5 13:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My first guess would have also been Buick but apparently Willys-Knight used the same grill shape too which I hadn't realied. Odd considering Buick sued Packard over the shape when Packard had it years earlier than Buick!

Posted on: 2018/1/5 13:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Don

Just checked the KImes book again to cover myself.

The lawsuits either way seem to be folk legend. Buick, in their guilt, did some legal huffing and puffing that their plagiarism was defensible. Packard responded with an ad titled "Only Packard can build a Packard". The copying by Durant , Willys, Buick and Dagmar went away

Happy New Year

John Harley

Posted on: 2018/1/6 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Just a note - there is no "Kimes book." There is, however, the book published by Automobile Quarterly in 1978, "Packard - A History of the Motor Car and the Company" which Beverly Kimes is credited as the editor. She wrote a two-page introduction, but she did not write any of the chapters.

It might better be called the "Langworth book," as Richard M. Langworth was the one who conceived the idea of it, convinced Automobile Quarterly to publish it, hired all 16 of the authors, authored two chapters himself and edited 14 chapters as well before he left AQ to start his own publishing company. When that happened, AQ assigned Beverly Kimes to take over and listed her name as the editor. Langworth was listed (in small print) as "Associate Editor" for the 14 chapters he worked on.

When the Society of Automotive Historians presented its book-of-the-year award to the AQ book, Beverly Kimes' name was the only one on the plaque - not one of the 16 authors who actually wrote the book was mentioned.

Posted on: 2018/1/6 15:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a shame about the publishing and improper credits to those who deserve them! On my comments about the Buick suit, I had wondered if it was some urban legend or just posturing on Buick's part. Of course and as I recall, it was something I read as a teenager back in the '60s (or perhaps a little later in the '70) in The Packard Story and still have my original copy somewhere but didn't dig it out to confirm so maybe mis-remembering as happens more and more these days!

Posted on: 2018/1/6 15:54
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved