Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 99

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear main seal instalation 1937 120
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
I'm going back together with my engine. I have a Motors Repair manual I'm working with. It leaves a lot to be desired.
In reference to the rear main seal. Does the "ring" on the crank, just aft of the bearing, cut into the rope seal? I don't see how the rope seal could fit on either side of the ring. It will be a tight fit and I don't see how the crank will rotate freely.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.47 KB)
72388_5d6ec52ca9170.jpg 1079X1049 px

Posted on: 2019/9/3 14:55
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear main seal instalation 1937 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My Motors spells it out quite clearly; you don't have a conventional rear seal, just a simple and effective crankshaft oil slinger which is an intergral part of the crankshaft (a typical arrangement of the era). Whatever someone erroneously stuffed into the slinger cavity should be removed. Make sure the slinger groove drain hole back to the oil pan is clear.

It wasn't until postwar that Packard eliminated the slinger and went to a graphited cord rear crankshaft seal.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 15:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
No seal.

Posted on: 2019/9/3 21:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
Well folks once again that "readin" thing has sucked me in. I got a rebuild kit from one of our Packard suppliers and in it I found a rope type rear seal along with the two little pieces of wood that are part of the rear seal. While looking for the directions for installing a rear seal I skipped the paragraph that preceded the procedure which VERY CLEARLY stated there is no rear seal in the 1935-47 Six and Eight. Instead I read the procedure which in bold print identified it as the 1940-50 Super8, All 1951-53.
Damn!!
Doing my best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Thanks for the polite help.

Posted on: 2019/9/4 7:53
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved