Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Filter Question on Carter WDO carb
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I have a fuel filter for my WDO carb and it has a outlet on it that I am not sure what it's for. I believe there was rubber tubing on it and maybe it's an overflow or return line of some sort. Does anybody have any ideas. Picture attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.69 KB)
4619_5d77fddd842b3.jpg 570X427 px

Posted on: 2019/9/10 14:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Filter Question on Carter WDO carb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what your filter was used on but it is not stock. I suspect it came from a later car and as you surmise probably that fitting is for a return line.

The optional filter Packard offered would look like these filters. Packard used Carter which is shown in the first photo as installed on a later model car. Both Carter and AC filters were available from just about any gas station or parts store of the era and my 47 has had an AC filter installed.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.03 KB)
209_5d7808baa0c5d.jpg 500X373 px

jpg  (87.94 KB)
209_5d7808c45cd9b.jpg 1280X717 px

Posted on: 2019/9/10 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks for the clues. It appears what I have on my 46 Packard is something called an ACON-O-MISER which appears to be a combination fuel filter and fuel economy device of some sort that was used on 1958 Cadillac. The input is a vacuum line that goes to the exhaust manifold which is how it was hooked up in my car. But I'm suspicious that it is not working correctly and causing my carburetor to flood when the engine becomes hot. I see you have a heat shield over your manifold, probably to solve the same problem I am having.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.84 KB)
4619_5d78b1872d456.jpg 736X548 px

Posted on: 2019/9/11 3:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is an interesting device and would be even more interesting to know the theory behind how it is supposed to help fuel economy. Seems like anything it could do before the carb like starving the fuel flow or lowering pressure would be messing with the carb adjustments and if that is what it does then I would think all kinds of drivability problems would occur.

I remember the gadgets that filled the pages in the JC Whitney catalog when I was a kid in the 50s. All sorts of wondrous things to increase power and speed and then others to help economize while you did the first two. Without knowing more about how it works, my first thought is it kind of sounds like that one would have been right at home in those pages.

The heat shield was standard with the 356 engine but does not appear to have been offered on the others. There is a thick insulating spacer that goes between the carb and manifold on all models to help with the control of heat soak but I am wondering how much either actually helps. The increased volatility of todays gasoline probably has a great deal to do with the many flooding when hot issues people are reporting now.

Posted on: 2019/9/11 9:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved