Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pulling hub/drum
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Any secret? I have a puller and the axle nut is loose but on there so the drum doesn't go flying. Is heat and hammering ok?

John

Attach file:

jpg  (296.58 KB)
3978_5d9d3afb408bd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/10/8 20:42
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Re: Pulling hub/drum
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On mine it mostly took patience. Gentle heat is OK and keep tightening periodically. If the drum has been on there undisturbed for years it might take some time but I would rather wait than get carried away with heat or force and damage the drum or axle. As long as there is a bit of clear space between the nut and hub and an occasional whack on the puller arm to tighten then the drum will eventually pop off.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks. I bought the car 2 years ago. By looking at other stuff would assume it's been a long time.
John

Posted on: 2019/10/8 20:54
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Just don't whack it on the end of the nut. They say it will mess up the spacer block in the differential carrier.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 21:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jason75
See User information
In addition to lots of twisting and patience Make sure the star wheel is as short as it will go

Posted on: 2019/10/9 0:48
1951 200 Deluxe Sedan Valiant Green Metallic
Vehicle #:2462 8372
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, DO NOT strike the end of the puller, also make sure the brakes are released all the way by turning the star wheel, a ridge can form from wear and hold the hub on even if the hub does turn freely.
This has been gone over before so this out:http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16602&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

And don't give up!
Wes

Posted on: 2019/10/9 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I just recently pulled a 14" Henney-Packard drum that was even stuck to the shoes and wouldn't turn. I was able to tap on the star adjuster to get it all the way in so that the wheel would turn (just barely) and attached the puller expecting a struggle but it came off with one tap of the turning handle. First, I used my pneumatic impact wrench to righted it as much as possible, then one single tap got it off! That was a surprise and a relief since the rear end wasn't even installed so I expected a fight.

The other side didn't even need the puller due to a seal leak. It was well-lubricated and came off by hand. Of course, I didn't know that until I put on the puller and screwed it in by hand when the drum just slipped off!

Attach file:

jpeg  (254.42 KB)
60923_5d9e1bf30a9ec.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (346.92 KB)
60923_5d9e1cd2ee66d.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/10/9 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Don I think you'll need new brake lining on that side.... LOL

Posted on: 2019/10/9 20:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
You can always grease the other side so that the braking will be equal, think of all the $$$$ you'll save.

Posted on: 2019/10/10 12:11
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was planning on doing just that since it's so nicely lubricated. No worry about the brakes getting too much friction and wearing out.

Actually, I've not decided what to do but I do have a spare backing plate and shoes for the other too-dry side as they were too rusty to use, as was the drum. I don't have a spare for that.

Posted on: 2019/10/10 22:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved