Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard 110 Touring Sedan - What to check before buying it?
Just popping in
Just popping in

V8PoweredMantis
See User information
Hey everyone!

My father and I spotted an old Packard 110 Touring Sedan from 1940 that looks to be in a good condition for a restoration (not to much rust, most of the chrome/trim is there etc.), but we don't have any experience with cars this old.

What do we need to check before buying the car? Are there any specific zones for rust, parts that have to be original, documents that have to be there etc.?

As far as I could spot it looks to have some nice options and the first 4 digits of the serial number plate on the firewall match the one from a '40 110 Touring Sedan.

Thanks in advance everyone

Posted on: 2019/10/13 8:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard 110 Touring Sedan - What to check before buying it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I guess one thing would be that the motor is free and not stuck. Also the paper work is all there and matches so you can get the car titled for use on the road. Body I don't know about.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 10:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi V8PM,

John makes a good point on the engine not being seized; also -not sure what your plans are with the car, but if originality is important to you, the engine serial number should start with a 'C'.(it is on the top, front, driver's side of the block) Not that this would confirm it was the original engine that it left the factory with, but it WOULD make it a 1940 and that would a worthwhile bonus. That being said, there is a pretty good infrastructure out there for parts and pieces for these cars; pretty much everything can be 'found or fixed'. If you do buy it - 'welcome to Packard'!! Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/13 12:04
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

V8PoweredMantis
See User information
Thanks for your input guys.
Our plan is to restore it in it's full original Glory, especially because it has quite some options like the Flying Lady Hood Ornament, fog lights, license plate frame from the garage, etc.

We already know that gaskets etc for the motor, carburator etc aren't hard to find. But what about the clutch, electrical parts etc? Are their any schemes to convert it to "normal" 12V?

Also, we live in Belgium, in Europe. Are there also parts here?

The biggest catch about the car that it's interior is just fubar. With that I mean the upholstery. The dash, seat frames etc are all there. Are there any parts or anything for that?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 12:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
there are no premade authentic interior kits to my knowledge, so they are redone from rolled cloth. There are enough of these cars around to find an authentic or original interior to use for reference. Take a look at bill hirsch automotive for some idea of what period wool upholstery is like. The dash and window trim are I believe wood grained metal (somebody correct me if it's plain on a 110) and there are both kits and services for this. The plastic dash trim is reproduced. So an authentic interior is possible but expensive to do on an entry level sedan.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 13:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi V8PM,

Not sure what the antique or collector car market is like in Europe, but as Bkazmer states, this is an entry level sedan and clearly, restoration costs would exceed finished resale value here in America. If this project is being undertaken purely out of the love of old cars and making something old, new again, then fair and fine. From a euros and ct's point of view, it probably wouldn't make sense. Chris

Posted on: 2019/10/13 15:01
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day V8PoweredMantis,
to PackardInfo.

If you do end up buying the '40 110 Touring Sedan, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 15:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

V8PoweredMantis
See User information
Hey everyone,

We would definitely buy it to bring back a car to it's former glory that's been off the road for 30+ years. We really like restoring old cars and bringing them back to life.

We just wanna check that it's possible. I know all the parts are findable somewhere, but is there a good site or anything with all parts for this specific car? especially the mechanical parts like gaskets, brakes etc?

I guess all those parts are probably only made in the USA, so knowing where and what is still able to find would be really helpful.

In a couple of weeks we'll be checking out the car and fully inspect it. Are there expect the serial number plate on the firewall and the serial number on the engine any specific things we have to check for originallity or some points that are often heavily rusted/damaged?

Really thanks in advance guys.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 17:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"....is there a good site or anything with all parts for this specific car? especially the mechanical parts like gaskets, brakes etc?"

Both the following have many/most mechanical parts and may have body parts and trim.

Kanter

Max Merrit

Posted on: 2019/10/13 17:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
V8PoweredMantis,
I hope you can post pictures soon! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted on: 2019/10/13 20:49
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved