Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The End of the Engine Color Controversy
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
As we all know, there has been a running controversy as to what color 48-50 engine blocks are supposed to be. Some say green, some say gray. Here is a pic of the engine from Packard H260007. This puts it in the latter half of the 23d series run: "LATE 49 (23rd Series): Engine numbers for the Standard/Deluxe Eights were H-200001 to H-291000 for 1949 (Series 2300)."

That's a green engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (324.73 KB)
182383_5e00f088dd1c6.jpg 1920X1431 px

jpg  (321.75 KB)
182383_5e00f09b02dc1.jpg 1920X1431 px

Posted on: 2019/12/23 11:53
 Top  Print 

Re: The End of the Engine Color Controversy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That color isn't close to the Packard green so obviously that motor has been repainted.

To my understanding, there is no controversy about engine color for the 23rd series - GREY. There is some controversy about 22nd series 356 engines, most especially those dated in 1947 and concurrent with the continuing production of the 21st series.

Posted on: 2019/12/23 12:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Only father time knows the story behind that motor, but the varying stud heights indicate prior engine work. The car is probably a victim of poor storage by a now deceased owner.

I see more and more of that nowadays. Cars that were decent originals (or even refinished) twenty years ago coming out of storage in decrepit condition.

I even see cars that were being judged at CCCA and Packard club events being cut up and turned into trash rods.

Quite frankly, if I want to turn cash into smoke I will give it to the local animal shelter or planned parenthood for the poor.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 6:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
That color isn't close to the Packard green so obviously that motor has been repainted.

To my understanding, there is no controversy about engine color for the 23rd series - GREY. There is some controversy about 22nd series 356 engines, most especially those dated in 1947 and concurrent with the continuing production of the 21st series.

^^^
This has been my understanding also. Absolutely no question on the 23rd Series. The only question might be on the spelling of 'Gray' or... 'Grey', guess it depends on how British you are.

Posted on: 2019/12/24 20:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved