Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Harmonic balancer on the 1934 V12 front bumper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
How do you take the chrome cap off of the 1934 V12 bumper harmonic balancer in order to service that unit? When that cap is off how do you control the spring tension in order to take it apart?

Posted on: 2020/3/24 11:14
 Top  Print 

Re: Harmonic balancer on the 1934 V12 front bumper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As memory serves me, it's a press fit decorative cap. The spring is not a life threatening issue, but I made an assembler using threaded rod and two pieces of wood. If you are lucky the weights and springs are in decent shape, but can be carefully dressed to float in the housing if they have been mishandled. As I remember the correct amount of oil to install is 185 ml.

I doubt the units achieved much given the plethora of bulletins addressing the units. As well, a new chassis has not had flex cycles so the vibration periods are different.

I have never been a big fan of the "X" frame design given it shortens the frequency. That change can create some nasty shimmy in worn systems. After all, trucks today aren't using it. The main benefit of those dampers is getting rid of tire related vibration even though the manual states improperly maintained units can be a cause of shimmy.

Posted on: 2020/3/25 6:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved