Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

underseat heater 47 super clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Anyone have experience in how to remove the motor from underseat heater? My motor is locked up-

thks

David

Posted on: 2020/5/11 8:28
 Top  Print 

Re: underseat heater 47 super clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Behind the fan on the nose of the motor can are two slotted head bolts. If you undo those the back part of the can will stay with the sheet metal "box" and the motor will come out

Posted on: 2020/5/11 10:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2020/5/11 11:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I did mine recently starting from a very crusty 'parts only' heater.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=930

See post 937

I had the defroster and under the seat motors rebuilt at Auto Battery & Electric in Portland. Around $100 each.

Posted on: 2020/5/11 13:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I assume you took the seat out to get the underseat heater out? Can the motor be removed without taking the whole unit out? Previous post seems to say yes?

thks

unit looks good!

Posted on: 2020/5/11 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
On my car, a 1940, I only had to lift off the bottom seat cushion.

If you can loosen up the two nuts that hold the motor under the car and disconnect the 2 wires, the motor with fan should left straight out.

Posted on: 2020/5/11 14:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Although this may be of no use, if its the same part number as your unit, it might be a good replacement.
https://albany.craigslist.org/pts/d/troy-under-rear-seat-heater-out-of-1947/7100689995.html

Steve

Posted on: 2020/5/11 15:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you haven't removed the under seat heater here is a suggestion that might get the motor working again.

Tap the motor lightly, very lightly. I have used the handle of a screwdriver for this. This will sometimes free-up the motor so it will operate again.

Also, I have lubricated the bearing opposite the fan end. This was done to quiet a noisy motor. I have done this by carefully cutting a slot in the housing at the shaft bearing end with a hacksaw blade. Cut the slot just deep enough to cut through the housing. Then, add a couple of drops of oil in the slot. Seal the slot with some sealant to keep dirt and moisture out. This will lubricate the end bearing. If this works the motor will again run quietly.

Sometimes it takes tapping and oiling to get one of these motors running again. Remember, just a very light tapping and only a very small amount of oil.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2020/5/14 11:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John-tried the tapping-still locked up-I am going to try and remove the motor. Another question is -how to remove the fan-I thought a set screw held the fan on but it appears to be some type of rectangle device with ridges on the sides

Posted on: 2020/5/21 8:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
On my "Packard Dual Stream" the fan has a cylindrical attachment on the backside of the fan and slides onto the motor shaft, secured by a set screw.

Posted on: 2020/5/21 8:31
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved