Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1942 "160" Headlight Switch Removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
Need to troubleshoot my instrument fuel gauge mainly and need to remove the headlight switch to get better access. Question: What is the secret for removing the headlight switch? I have had it removed once before back in 2017, but idiot me, did not document it! Now I again cannot see a way to remove but I know there must be a way. How is the plunger removed so that the switch trim screw can be completely removed and the switch pulled out through the back? STUMPED!
Lee

Posted on: 2020/6/6 14:26
 Top  Print 

Re: 1942 "160" Headlight Switch Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Described the process on your PAC question but couldn't post a photo in the private message space so will post it here. The little black spring steel tab you can barely see in the top photo needs to be pushed down and the 90 degree end of the shaft pulled out of the hole in the flat piece of metal going into the switch portion. Once the shaft is free pull the knob and shaft outward so you can get to the chrome bezel and unscrew that from the dash and switch. Once bezel is loose the switch will be free to move.

Attach file:

jpg  (196.16 KB)
209_5edbeff892af9.jpg 1195X1600 px

jpg  (35.58 KB)
209_5edbf011390ed.jpg 1092X530 px

Posted on: 2020/6/6 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Howard, Lee,

Not sure if the same as my '39, but the dash bezel must be significantly loosened off before one can 'lever' the switch arm out of the clip and 'pull hole', right? And that requires some kind of tool that can engage the two slots in the front of the bezel. Pics of tool I made to do the job attached, super easy to make. Chris

Attach file:

jpg  (145.19 KB)
121627_5edc1f6bf3cbf.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (190.64 KB)
121627_5edc1f80e09f8.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2020/6/6 17:58
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As I recall from the last time I did it 50 years ago (no exaggeration!) you can disengage the shaft fairly easily even without having to loosen the bezel by pulling the switch all the way out first. Then you press down on the bit that goes into the switch as it has more play when not pushed in. It's still not easy but it is do-able!

Posted on: 2020/6/6 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah Don, but he's trying to get the back body of the switch out of the way for access and that can't happen WITHOUT removing the chrome bezel, as it anchors the switch body to the dash. Yes/no???? Like Howard's parts picture shows... Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 0:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, Chris, that's right. I guess I wasn't too clear in that I meant it wasn't necessary to loosen the bezel first to get the shaft out. After it's out, of course, the bezel can be loosened and the switch removed.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 2:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Don, as I previously stated, I don't know if the '42 switch is the same as my '39 (I think, going by the year coverage on the drawing that they are) but I could NOT disengage the switch knob and shaft WITHOUT first seriously loosening off the bezel. With the bezel tight, there just wasn't enough play to get the 90 degree end out of the 'pull hole'. (and I went through this whole exercise a couple of weeks ago, not 50 years ago!!) LOL Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 21:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved