Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Convertible top pump Hydraulic fluid leak
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
The pump for my convertible top on my 56 Carribean is leaking fluid. It does not appear to be a hose issue. I do not think the pump is more than 10 years old. The top will go down, but not up. Any suggestions? Appreciate the help.

Scott

Posted on: 2020/8/2 11:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Convertible top pump Hydraulic fluid leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might get in touch with Hydro-E-Lectric.https://www.hydroe.com They carry the replacement pumps and cylinders and if as you think, it might have had work done 10 years ago they would have been the most likely to have supplied parts.

A few possibilities is something on the pump is loose or a seal might have been forced of place and is now leaking or some incompatible fluid was used that has destroyed rubber somewhere.

Posted on: 2020/8/2 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
Thank you

Posted on: 2020/8/2 13:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I had issues with the top on my '55 (See), which was a pump issue. I used the pump from Hydro-E-Lectric and I'm completely happy with it. I opted to replace both hydraulic rams (Again Hydro-E-Lectric) at the time, which was probably not necessary.

You need to determine if your system has brake fluid as done by Packard or hydraulic fluid (e.g. transmission fluid). Since your 10 year old pump failed, I would recommend that you flush the system out to ensure there is no contamination in it.

Posted on: 2020/8/3 3:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ssb15 wrote:
The pump for my convertible top on my 56 Carribean is leaking fluid. It does not appear to be a hose issue. I do not think the pump is more than 10 years old. The top will go down, but not up. Any suggestions? Appreciate the help.

Scott

If your pump/reservoir is leaking and your rams are not damaged, no matter how old or new it is... replace the pump motor/reservoir. This should be the end of your problem.

If your pump assembly is leaking AND your top won't raise... again this tells me your unit needs replacing. It is leaking and obviously not building pressure. For whatever reason, these newer replacement units seem to die at around 10 years of age. Replace it.

ALWAYS be sure to clean your ram rods and keep them shiny.

ALWAYS check your fluid level in the system. Low fluid or dried-out (or drying out) old fluid is poison to the system.

NEVER lower the top with the ram rods dirty or rusty. Clean them first! This is an especially good procedure to follow if the top has not been lowered in an extended period of time.

Posted on: 2020/8/4 8:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved