Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 53

acolds, Wes Hogeland, 54ocmac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Lee)




Re: 1958 Packard Pickup Truck (Argentina) - the last Packard?
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

Packard Newbie wrote:
Some valid and relevant points made on both side of this conversation. Leeedy, I sure identify with your 'tire story'! It seems like a lot of store clerks and counter folks are so computer-dependent these days, that if it isn't easily findable of their work screen, their 'job is done'. Maybe it's just me, but it usually seems like it's the older guys who 'cut in' here and go do some physical checking, and think outside the box a bit. I know there are some cracker-jack youngsters out there too, but digitization, for all it's advantages and time savings, has also become a dependency issue that, if used for the sole source of info, can end up falling short of telling 'the whole story'. Chris.


Exactly Chris... this is also why we have so many absurd stories on the internet about Packard bicycles.

Or about Packard Panthers– wild stuff. This is why somebody would spend over $700,000 for a Panther that was done completely wrong, with bogus information and claimed to be a later car that it never was. Yet ignored the fact that it IS the first one made. Why? Because the internet and auction companies said so! Who ya gonna believe? Some old dude and a Packard Club article on old-fashioned paper in a magazine for members? OR car hawkers/flippers, auction companies and fancy whizz-bang web sites? (and this car is allllllll over the internet!!!). Forget the facts. Heaven forbid that we might actually have to go physically look in an old magazine or ask the club and people in it that have the facts. Let's go for the instant internet stuff that is just a marvelous click away! AND you can even get it on your phone!

And just recently a big company with a fancy web site is circulating a story that claims Packard Predictor was delivered from Italy without the interior installed. Wow. This despite the fact that in the video I saved of Predictor being uncrated, styling chief Bill Schmidt is sitting in the driver's seat, swiveling it (kinda hard to do if there was no interior). But the company has a web presence, swoopy web site and a huge audience. Let's ignore the Packard Club (which has provided lots of facts, including unknown inside information several times) and let's go for the internet stuff!

Or how about the 10-20 different versions of Earle C. Anthony's Packard neon story on the internet? All from "respected and knowledgeable sources" with whizz-bang web sites with "security" ratings, etc. These sources will tell you Mr. Anthony bought TWO signs (don't take my word for it... take a look and see). By the way, not true–no matter how many web sites, museums and neon "experts" say so.

These web sites will even quote prices Mr. Anthony supposedly paid. Not.

They'll tell you the first sign was mounted on top of Mr. Anthony's Packard dealership (not even close to being true).

And these sources will show you pictures claiming to be from 1923 of a Packard neon ... mounted on a building that did not exist until 1929–and the photo obviously (to someone who really knows) taken even after that!

The Packard Club revealed the exact, accurate story with photographs of Earle C. Anthony's neon Packard signs– years ago. But do we wanna recognize this accurate history? Or ignore it and go for the click-bait internet oleo? You know what has happened.

Mr. Anthony's papers DO exist and that is not at all what they say. Not at all. I got these papers fifty years ago directly from the company's assets and people who worked for Earle C. Anthony, Inc. No. These papers are not online. And the neon sign story (the accurate one) is not online either. But it exists.

So who're you gonna believe? A fancy-dancy web site that follows the popular myths every neon person swears by (courtesy of the internet)? Or somebody who knows? Nahh... let's go for door #1. It's quick and easy and we can click our computer mouse... and use links... or even do it on our phones. And we've got the almighty "wiki" (what a prize "source" this one is). No need to rely on things printed on paper–like in stuffy old libraries, museums or collections.

These are just a few examples of many that illustrate internet reality is not always reality reality.

Thank heaven for the internet and people who have done wondrous things with it. We owe them a lot. But not blind allegiance or singular dedication and the sole route to knowledge. Hopefully we have not yet become lemmings. Even the stuff that is on the internet has usually come from somebody's hard work in the past (the thing that some folks today want to pretend never existed–even while they discuss old cars). It is easy for someone to come along years later and post some thing on the internet and be praised and get credit for what appears in today's world to be a fact or new discovery. One can always stand tall doing so by standing on someone else's shoulders. Recognizing original sources is not a terrible thing. Ignoring them is.

There are plenty of very knowledgeable sources (real people) in the Packard Club. Some of them are the very reasons why this history has been kept alive since the 1950s. This stuff hasn't just fallen out of the sky. People physically saved it and promoted it. A lot of these people are already gone. Others are old guys who don't even use computers. But one can still ask them questions–even if it can't be done via DIY or point-and-click method or smart phones. Their names and even addresses are listed in every directory and every magazine... regardless of how cutting-edge whizz-bang the web site is or isn't. It is important to remember that the whole world is not digitized and online. And... there was also a reason why "snopes" was invented.

Posted on: 5/1 20:00
 Top 


Re: 1958 Packard Pickup Truck (Argentina) - the last Packard?
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
I was unaware of the fact that this was known beforehand. I am a member of the Packard Club as well as the regional club where I live.

As noted, the Packard Club website is from an earlier era of the Internet, and does not (as far as I have been able to find) have a search feature. The Cormorant magazine index is available, but only as a PDF download.

Realistically, unless one had a physical copy of the magazine issue with the article about the Packard trucks in question, I don't know how anyone would be able to find out.

Just like many other things in the modern world, if it's not on the Internet, it doesn't exist, for practical purposes.



Yessss, these are important points. Yet these points illustrate that despite facts being facts, some today only recognize facts now if they can see these facts on the internet. Otherwise, they don't exist. This is the sad dilemma of the internet age and even the computer age.

I well remember going into a tire store wanting to buy a specific set of tires. The counter guy dutifully fired up his computer and then announced to me that not only did the store not carry that tire, but he did not recall ever seeing any in the store. Young fellow.

Of course, I was incredulous and merely pointed to the overhead rack just behind the fellow. There in plain view were a set of four of the very tires I wanted to buy! Yet the store guy was insisting to me there were none in the store and they didn't even carry the tire. Why? Because the computer on the counter told him so... in spite of the real things less than 10 feet away.

There is a danger in placing all of the world in the hands of a web site or a computer screen. While perhaps "for practical purposes" things not said or shown on the internet "don't exist" for some...they very well often do exist. And I know several people very deeply into Packards who don't even use computers or smart phones. Can we afford to ignore them and make internet reality the only reality? I sure hope not.

Posted on: 5/1 14:22
 Top 


Re: 1958 Packard Pickup Truck (Argentina) - the last Packard?
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Interesting article from Curbside Classics:

The last Packard-badged vehicle - a pickup truck?


Actually what may seem to be news or a "discovery" today in 2021 has actually been revealed many years ago in The Packard Cormorant magazine, the glossy publication of the Packard Club.

This Packard truck was covered along with original factory photos of the truck. So the existence of these trucks as well as their place in Packard history has indeed been documented and is known–unlike as implied by the linked source.

For whatever reason when histories of Packard pop up on the internet and in today's publications, a curious thing happens. These new postings and articles never seem to mention or look for what has already been covered by the Packard Club (also known as "Packard Automobile Classics").

The Packard Club's published histories have been monumental over the years. The Packard Club has existed since 1953 when Packard was still making cars. The club and its publications certainly deserve recognition for keeping the Packard flame alive when there were no other histories or sources preserving the name and what the company did. The place were people ought to look first seems to be the most ignored source today. That's too bad.

Posted on: 5/1 7:48
 Top 


Re: Randy
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
You seem to have two sets of rules when it comes to me, Mr. Guscha

1.) The question was asked by Robert.... So complain to Robert and send/post your rule corrections to Robert about whatever direction the thread went. I was merely responding to Robert's question. And it is about 1956 Caribbean and it is a valid question... even if perhaps some people don't want it discussed for what may be obvious reasons.

2.) You have certainly attempted to hijack my participation in other threads in the past. And you've made snide remarks (perhaps I should post about the etiquette rule over grudges). So? What is your morbid and deep interest here? And what is the do as you say, but don't do as you do ruling here?

Didn't you just "hijack" (according to your implication to me) R1lark's thread about Jim Nance and his father with the Predictor? You took us all the way to Russia on a non-Packard vehicle. You may have been responding to Rickey Dillinger's question... but how does that make the principle legit for you and not for me? Same thing. There is a word for this kind of barefaced hypocrisy in the USA... and you ought to know what it is.

Perhaps you don't want this talked about for a reason other than what you are saying?

Hijacking goes on in this forum all the time. But where are you when that happens? And why aren't you following the same "etiquette"? So why is it more grievous when it can be construed that I was somehow involved? I don't see you posting complaints or "etiquette directions" to others! Or following them yourself. So why chastise only me? Why direct your correction to only me?? Your slips are showing Guscha. We both know very well what this is really about.

As for anyone else such as the original poster who might in some way be bothered that I took the time to respond to Robert's question (how dare I?) ... hey, my sincere apologies.

So... let's talk some more about Randy's Caribbean.

Posted on: 4/27 12:03
 Top 


Re: Randy
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

Kip56 wrote:
Leedy,
Thank you for your detailed reply and for including pictures. You clearly have had a horrible experience with an unsatisfactory outcome. Your Caribbean with its options was certainly a treasure.

Thank you for your service!

All the best,
Robert.


Hello Robert,

Thanks for the kind response. Yes, it was and remains a horrific nightmare... one I have and LIVE nearly every day– even after all these years. All of it.

And eBay? Don't count on their help. First thing they'll do is request YOU get LOCAL police intervention. THEN they might do something. We can't impede commerce after all! The dollars have to keep flowing! No matter HOW they are flowing!

And with no police where the car was stolen and with the departments I contacted all standing around doing Freddie Prinze "not my job" imitations, nobody wanted to take responsibility for an investigation, much less an eBay intervention!

The loss included several prototype, one-of-a-kind items from my barns. SOME were vintage bicycles and bicycle items. These included prototype Silver King aluminum bicycle frames and the VERY LAST 26 x 2.125 American-made Carlisle whitewall balloon tire IN a box... mounted and given to me by the Carlisle Rubber Corporation... WITH LETTER from the company to me. And car items, some Packard– like items I saved from East Grand Blvd when Packard closed there in the 1950s. These included PACKARD BLUEPRINTS.... A LOT OF THEM. YES. But also included was the ONLY set of aluminum prototype pilot wheels for 1986 Mazda RX-7... which were very different from the normal production wheels. This was the ONLY set of these wheels in North America and the ONLY set to ever leave Japan. No telling what moron ended up with them and what kind of car they ended up on, but they also had brand-new prototype TIRES mounted. These wheels and tires would be SO HOT that nobody could possibly sell them and still know what they are. OR could they? SOME of those items indeed apparently were sold on eBay. Oh yes. I won't list the excuses I was given.

I'm an old guy now, and I had a lot of Packards over my lifetime. But my mistake was falling in love with the 1956 Caribbean. MY Caribbean. Which was made only more intense because I was given a ride in the first hand-made prototype back in 1955. That 1956 Caribbean convertible was my DREAM car and still is today. Nothing can change that.

However the financial loss, treachery and pain associated even with just the memory and what happened is almost unbearable to think about for very long. This wasn't merely a theft. It was a sneering, MALICIOUS, hateful theft.

As they saw it... how dare I have all of this cool stuff and live out where I lived... in the house up on the hill out in the country? What was I even doing there in the first place? They got off on doing me dirty... and having a free payday.

There really ARE "people" like this... MONSTERS are not just in the movies. They really DO exist.

By the way...it's "Leeedy" with 3 e's. Thanks again.

As for my service to my country? You are most welcome. Thank you!

Posted on: 4/25 20:04
 Top 


Re: Packard Bikes
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Okay, the Schwinn worshippers have had some attention. Let's move on to 1936 and Colson-built Packard bicycles.

Here is an original ad from our collection showing a Colson-buit Packard bicycle sold by an Ohio chain store and shops. Just imagine... they delivered the bicycle to you on a payment plan of just $1 down! Delivered! Still a decent amount of money in 1936 when it could easily buy you five or six gallons of gas. But if you were lucky enough to have a job in those tough times, not bad at all!

While most of the original advertisements for Colson-built Packards show lesser models, here is a very deluxe model. And it differs substantially from Colson-branded bicycles in several details. This one even came factory-equipped with a speedometer!

And this seller was not a wholesale-distributor... this was a retailer... dealing direct with retail customers. So there was no Packard Motor Car Company dealer involved here.

Packard bicycles have generated more silly stories than even Schwinn-Built bicycles–which is a lot! Again there are silly myths about these bicycles on some DIY sites and guess-at-it forums. One outrageous claim has been made that Packard Motor Car Company somehow owned Colson Corporation– the actual manufacturer of Colson bicycles and Colson-built bicycles. Ridiculous. Another absurd myth bandied around is that Colson Corporation was owned by Schwinn. Rubbish. Yet another claims Colson-built Packard headbadges were somehow Schwinn headbadges. Absurd.

One important point. This store ad makes a mythical claim of its own. It states that Packard bicycles are "exclusive" at this store chain–implying no one else sold Packard bicycles. Not true. Packard bicycles were sold by several retailers and bicycle shops coast to coast. Fact. But this just serves to further complicate what is already a complicated subject for most today.

People just plain don't understand how the American bicycle industry and sales operations (whether they were retail or wholesale) worked in this country way back when these bicycles were made. So? The car people have invented their stories. And the bicycle people have invented their stories. Almost none are accurate, but that doesn't seem to stop people from repeating the wild tales! Or making up more stories.

And if someone who really knows how all this worked says so? Try telling that to the folks spinning the yarns and you'll be shouted down. So the situation is what it is. And dopey stories continue on... and on...and on.

Colson Corporation was a large entity in its own right. They made everything from children's sidewalk wheel goods to a full line of very high quality bicycles to hospital equipment and wheelchairs. The company was also famous for its industrial handling equipment, heavy-duty carts and its world-renowned industrial casters. We have almost all of the bicycle catalogues from beginning to end along with many of the industrial catalogues and and numerous factory photos. We interviewed some of its designers back in the 1950s, 1970s and 1980s. And yes, we have several Colson bicycles as well as Colson-Built Packard bicycles.

Colson Corporation was located in Elyria, Ohio. This making it a natural to find the particular Ohio company (in the ad) selling Colson-built Packard bicycles. Well over half of Colson's bicycle production was not under the Colson brand. And Colson-Built bicycles were not necessarily the same as "Colson" brand bicycles.

However... if you read closely, you won't find any references to "Colson" in the ad. This despite people on the internet today stating "Colson Packard" –as if this was a legitimate model of Colson brand. Not so.

And again... no mention in this nice advertisement of these Packard bicycles being given away with Packard automobiles. This, no matter how many people out there are still perpetuating this myth. Oh– but the store did give you a red/white/blue bicycle racing cap if you showed up with your parents to look at these Packard bicycles! Have you got yours?

Attach file:



jpg  PackardBicyce1936 copy.jpg (410.63 KB)
1249_60859503f20ac.jpg 1014X1264 px

Posted on: 4/25 10:04
 Top 


Re: Randy
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

Kip56 wrote:
AC, Delighted to know you are going to continue with Randy's Caribbean project! Randy's attention to detail always impressed me and glad to know he chose you to bring that beautiful VMV Caribbean over the finish line. Looking forward to your progress!

Leedy, I am curious of the production number of your Caribbean which was stolen out of your barn? With 5699's showing up on eBay and other auction sites I am wondering if any trail to the theft has ever turned up?

All the best,
Robert.


Hello... In response to your question... believe me. The Caribbeans being sold are also being watched... for many years now. And yes, several Caribbeans are coming up for sale in recent times as we are having a generation die off and/or simply roll over.

But...there ARE people out there who very well know where my car is and they know it was stolen. However everybody suddenly "didn't know nuthin' " after it happened and during all of the cover-ups and chicanery that followed. There are also people who know how to exploit bias in their favor. AND how to work all of the legal loopholes and steal your property "fair and square." After all... in their view I didn't deserve to have all that cool stuff anyway. Right? Some are chortling and grinning about it. Some are proud that they feel they got away with the theft and probably made good money off of a zero investment.

The car was in my barn, in a sparsely populated unincorporated area with no police force of its own and nobody wanted to help other than passing the buck to some other entity who then kicked the can even further down the road. IT WAS AND IS A NIGHTMARE. Rather than helping, they seemed more interested in why was I living so far out on acreage in a cool house with all this cool stuff and nice cars? ( other cars were stolen including a 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty-Special which is more rare than the Caribbean).

It is easy to spend a fortune chasing down snakes swirling in a dark and slimey barrel. One can end up throwing good money after bad. At one point you are out of options and you simply have to throw up your hands and walk away. These reptilian "people" know this.

One person who was involved in this theft was indeed caught and sued by me in court. I won a judgement against that person (he claimed it was all a 'mix-up" and that he could not pay for his crime. Somehow, he mysteriously had a lawyer, despite not being able to pay me. He further said sold it to his friend who sold it again, etc. etc. etc.) It was made to appear that my Caribbean was just a POS and was lost forever... like it evaporated.

In fact all my Caribbean needed was a paint job. I had worked on the car for several years in my spare time (which was precious little in those days). All chrome and gold plating was done. All bolts had been sent out and nickel-tumbled. Anything that was rusty (and this was almost nothing except for light surface rust) was replaced with DESERT PARTS that had never seen a winter or bad wet weather or salt. All dash knobs were NOS. The factory air conditioning control was tested and reconditioned. There was even a brand new convertible top in the box (and at least two spares)... and a barn full of parts enough to do several cars. Bumpers, fenders, a spare deck lid, grilles, doors, glass, trim, perhaps 20 tail light assemblies, exhaust systems, wheels, caps, chrome and stainless galore. Lots of NOS parts in ORIGINAL boxes and in wood cabinets (they stole my cabinets and workbench too). Radio was rebuilt... with several spares (including several rare CLIPPER wonderbar radios). A NOS set of Packard factory seat belts. A NOS traffic light viewer. A NOS pull-out trunk light and spares. There were even TWO sets of RARE Packard "Car-Pets" (most don't even know what these are) and a roll of carpet. Original cans of Packard touch-up paint and motor oil. Several pairs of MINT and NOS Yankee Pacesetter rearview mirrors. A NOS Packard Safety Brake Fluid Reservoir IN the box–and a spare! Engine was re-done. Transmission was re-built. Brakes were re-done. Carbs were re-built and operating perfectly. The gas tank was done. Fuel pump replaced. New water pump. Generator rebuilt. Starter rebuilt. TIRES were NEW wide whitewalls (Remingtons) with protective blue coating still on them. The spare in the trunk was the original U.S. Royal Master that was on the car when delivered new (never on the ground). There were FIVE nice original genuine Packard Motor Wheel wire wheels with two and a half sets of original center caps, including one set of Earle C. Anthony cloisonne center caps. AND a lot more including a 1956 374 cid Caribbean engine block with pistons and crank, a spare Caribbean "bat-wing" air cleaner, extra complete dashboards, door panels, harnesses and electrical parts, two 1956 Ultramatic transmissions, boxes of push-button assemblies and wiring, several compensators complete and a NOS compensator unit. There was also original Packard literature in cabinets saved from Detroit. And LOT more. ALL gone. You mean to say NOBODY knows about all this?

All this nightmare cost me tens of THOUSANDS of dollars and several years to seek remedies. In the end I only went backwards. This is what happens when things like this are stolen and you don't have a honeypot full of money. endless patience, bottomless resources and a good lawyer. AND it wasn't just the car, but ALL of my Packard parts (many NOS) and ALL of my tools. Yes. This actually happened.

Of course, years later when it finally got to court, the female judge (who was definitely not an old car buff ) looked at photos presented to her by the defendant's attorney of the disassembled car and could not see a realistic value. Clueless. And worse, I was not allowed to speak on the issue on my behalf... as incredible as this may seem in the REAL rational world. As far as the judge was told (and probably believed) I was just some Sanford & Son piker dude out in the country with junky old cars and a pile of old parts to something nobody knew what it was. And that was that. Take it or leave it.

I had a great-great grandmother who was full-blood Creek Indian. Her land was "legally" taken from her and she was "legally" forced to WALK from Georgia to "resettlement" in Oklahoma in the 1800s. Somehow she survived when many of my relatives didn't. But after this experience, I had just a taste of how she must have felt.

IF my Caribbean came up for sale, believe me, I would know the car. I bought the car in Winter Park, Florida in the early 1970s when I was in college. AND I TOW-barred it all the way back to Los Angeles, California behind my 1963 Chevy Impala (bought NEW see photos). No little feat, I can assure you. And yes, I have photos. And yes, I still have the original notarized Bill Of Sale and even the receipt for Florida fees and the tow bar receipt!

The serial number means nothing since the plate was off of the car when it was stolen and I believe the number was changed later. It was an MKN car with factory air and wire wheels.

I DO have suspicion that my Caribbean was subsequently auctioned in Arizona in 2010 to persons and parts unknown. Perhaps it is in Saudi. OR... maybe somewhere in the USA, sweating in somebody's garage. Down to the umpteenth owner who knows nothing about the real history of the car. Or perhaps they know the whole story and are hiding it.

I contacted the auction company and they were VERY cagey about the serial number... refused to provide a pic of the serial plate... they refused to say who was selling it, what the serial number was... and who bought it. Then they lied and said the car was sold new in California and had been there all its life. Pure rubbish. NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE... AND NOT TRUE.

The car they sold was white/pink/gray (MKN) with a re-done interior and wire wheels. It was pictured with it's rear sitting up in the air for some reason... and a pair of (Hmmmmm) Yankee Pacesetter mirrors. But it appeared someone had very stupidly painted both the dash AND the firewall GLOSS BLACK... something the factory would have NEVER done. Part of the A/C was still in the car, but the engine and compressor and blower appeared to be changed/missing. Other things were altered. Any knowledgeable Packard person seeing this car SHOULD have smelled something wrong. But nobody knew nothin'. The car disappeared.

SOMEBODY knows about this car. And SOMEBODY knows about the serial number. But nobody knows nuthin'.

But one thing is for sure... whoever has my Caribbean today... you may have what appears to be a "legal" title or a "bill of sale" but you are standing on DEEP QUICKSAND. Some day (and I may be gone from this world when it happens) this will all come out and the dirt done here will be exposed for what it is.

Oh... and what was I doing while my car and parts and tools and possessions were being stolen? DYING in Anaheim Memorial Hospital where I was for over a month. They even called a priest because they were not certain I would survive.

I have an undiagnosed medical condition, courtesy of my service in Viet Nam. My first attack of the condition was 1967 in a place called Duc Pho, surrounded by ocean on one side and mountains and jungle on the other. The first attack was so horrific that I was paralyzed. I was then taken by my Commanding Officer's helicopter and ended up in a hospital in Qui Nhon... where I was so bad off that I was further evacuated to Manila in the Philipines...where I nearly died. I was then taken to Camp Zama, Japan (they weren't sending me back to the states with some undiagnosed condition). Army doctors in Japan worked on me to save my life. They never figured out what nearly caused my death. After some time in Japan, I recovered and volunteered to return to Viet Nam where I continued my service. Photo below is me in Viet Nam at a place we called LZ Montezuma. THIS was after we fixed the site up for the third time and it looked pretty good here (relatively speaking). And we now had tents instead of holes in the ground.

I served with both 25th Division and 4th Division... and yes, it was very tough duty. A LOT of French, U.S. Marines and U.S. Army 101st Airborne men died on that hill behind me. One of the guys in our unit got both of his legs blown off (he stepped on a Viet Cong land mine) just trying to climb that hill to retrieve a parachute. I spell "Viet Nam" in two words instead of one because that's the way the Vietnamese used to spell it.

This condition periodically returns and sometimes is so bad it puts me in the hospital for extended periods. It chose that time to hit and unknown to me –while I'm laying in a hospital with a team of doctors again working trying to save my life, someone was stealing my cars and possessions. Of course, that's another story since the VA has no official diagnosis of what the condition is (one doctor thinks it is a rare form of Malaria... another thinks it is a condition known as Brill-Zenser). Either way... I have never been compensated by the VA for this condition.... so again... nobody knows nuthin'. And there we are–all the way down to today. Thanks for asking.

Attach file:



jpg  InTowStopGD.jpg (655.87 KB)
1249_6084c68774395.jpg 1455X1028 px

jpg  RestStop.jpg (634.24 KB)
1249_6084ca83924a3.jpg 1462X1024 px

jpg  LeeedyAtDucPhoHill copy.jpg (339.34 KB)
1249_6085a14109e02.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 4/24 19:37
 Top 


Re: Great Uncle Larry's 1955 Caribbean 5588 MDF 92
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

ZeroCool wrote:
This boot cover is what I thought I had when I came across the folded up 'cover' that was with the car. I was surprised to find out it spans the whole passenger compartment and the 'boot' too.


Quote:
Can you take a close up pictures of the top and bottom of this cover?


Here are a few pictures of the inside/outside of a portion of the side, and one of the back corners. (The snaps indicate inside vs outside) The inside/outside images are paired up with the same snaps

If might be the same as the outer top material, will check closer later.

-zeroCool


Somehow, whatever I posted earlier in this thread has become erased. Pity.

Anyway, what you have here is not a boot... and not a "cover." It is tonneau. And this is the difference between a "tonneau" and a "boot." Either way, this is an aftermarket component accessory. It is not a factory component. And the extra snaps, snap studs and bag are not factory components... and not official Packard dealer accessory items either. The item showing in the photos is an aftermarket accessory tonneau.

People in 2021 either never knew or have forgotten that it was once common for convertible owners to go to professional trim shops and have custom-made tonneau covers created for their car. This was not tremendously unusual at all. And for whatever reason, some convertible owners did not like to raise their top... some just insisted on keeping the top down all of the time, everywhere. All of which leads to the next point.

Several Caribbeans and other Packard convertibles have turned up over the years with tonneaus and extra fasteners to hold them on. Of course this does mean that these tonneaus are some rare Packard component. Quite the contrary.

Also, of the six Pan American concept cars, somebody who owned #2 had a tonneau made for it. Of course in #2's case there was no top installed when it was built (see the history in The Packard Cormorant magazine).

Tonneaus were always more common as a sports car accessory and I personally suggested to offer one during the development of Mazda Miata. And in fact, one indeed was sold as both a dealer and factory accessory. We had these tonneaus made by Robbins Auto Top Company– which in those days was located in Santa Monica, California. Robbins also made a couple of Caribbean tops for me in the 1970s.

As for the Caribbean top here, the reason why this Caribbean top is bleached-out grayish/off white look on the inside facing is obvious to a pro trimmer. It is because somebody kept it lowered a LOT and apparently did not use the factory boot. What you are looking at in the photos is severe damage from a combination of both night dew, other moisture and ultraviolet rays of prolonged sun exposure. This is what happens.

If you read the article in the March edition of the Packard Club Cormorant News Bulletin, you can get more info on how and why this appearance change from the original baby blue interior facing has taken place.

Posted on: 4/21 16:08
 Top 


Re: 1955 Caribbean carpet photo
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
As I have said many, many times the most original unmolested 1955 Caribbean you'll ever find is the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters car... which now lives at the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio.

If you can't get there to take photos of this extremely low-miles Caribbean, I'm sure that the museum would be willing to help.

Posted on: 4/21 14:27
 Top 


Re: 1955 Packard Caribbean convertible - #1190
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Kevin,

Is the carpet original?

Can you take a picture of the front?


As I have said many, many times the most original unmolested 1955 Caribbean you'll ever find is the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters car... which now lives at the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio.

If you can't get there to take photos of this extremely low-miles Caribbean, I'm sure that the museum would be willing to help.

Posted on: 4/21 9:52
 Top 



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 80 »



Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1955 PACKARD 400 2DR HDTP
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved