Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 261

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Factory AC and glovebox.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:...JW, the blower could be placed in front fairly easily but that brings up the recirc air issue. As PV8 has mentioned several times, hot and humid fresh air is not the best at cooling. For myself, I also don't like the location of the air inlets because they seem to catch all the exhaust from the car in front. Don't even like using the heater but suffer thru because I like cold less than exhaust...

Howard, understand. I knew I was missing something important How about the main blower in front, like suggested, and a smaller recirc blower in the location of the current main blower?

That is a densely packed under dash. Too bad the top is not easily removable. Your work is to be admired.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 11:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Jim, Thanks for the nice words but here's a few more photos that might change your mind on the factory approach.

Wow! There is no "might" about it. The pictures are enough to convince me to stay with what came with the car: An under dash evaporator that is really amazingly quiet even on "high" and the rest of the stuff that was in a box in the trunk. I just like the original look though I'm not wild about what I presume is the under dash heater foot well outlets. Every once in a while I need to have a "reality check" to pull my still active imagination back down to at least earth orbit.

I do like the trunk unit with the plastic ducts. The system that was in the '55 Fleetwood I almost bought in college with it's ceiling registers with directional pivots still seems better than the behind the dash unit that is in my Town Car. I'm almost tempted to go that route. The only thing stopping me is the original headliner that is in great condition. If I had to redo the interior I think I'd go with the ducts.

As always, thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. You are one of this sites greatest assets.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:54
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well, here is my first attempt at making a glovebox for factory AC cars that inserts from the front -- (disregard the screws - different ones are coming). Used a plastic U channel on the box edge to hold the back in place. It's adequate for a first attempt and actually I think almost looks decent but not ready for a perfectionist. The cracking I was getting with the one piece boxes has been controlled by softening the cardboard with steam along the bend lines before bending. Original question still holds - If anyone knows how the factory might have replaced an intact new box on AC cars in the field, I'd sure like to know.

The flocking is a PIA so if anyone knows where to get a solid gray or silver flocked contact or even wallpaper similar to what they originally used, I'd like to know that too. Everything I have found has a faint pattern. If anyone has bought one of the large original size repros currently available, what are they using? The one I bought from Carpenter years ago was a fairly thick glued on fabric. Too bad those current repros won't work for AC.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.79 KB)
209_505f4b60d251e.jpg 640X268 px

jpg  (23.86 KB)
209_505f4b6ad9035.jpg 640X342 px

jpg  (24.18 KB)
209_505f4b754d784.jpg 640X362 px

Posted on: 2012/9/23 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Doesn't carpenter make one for the A/C car? I think I purchased one from him years ago.

http://www.packardclub.org/download/yellow_pages_2011.pdf

Nice job.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice job Howard. Looks perfect to me. Air conditioning..... I need it! Tired of roasting my buns in these So. Arizona temps.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Carpenter just had the standard size for 55-6 when I bought mine years ago but maybe he does have AC now. The other place selling them only lists the one size. Still like to know what is used to cover them now. My 20 year old Carpenter box has something almost like velvet or maybe velour - really thick fabric.

Still begs the question of how it's easily installed in the field. Unless I'm just unusually dense (a real possibility) can't see a way to do it without really bending the box or removing the dash. The shortened box is about 1 1/2 less in depth or roughly 15 x 7 x 7 overall yet the space between the bottom dash edge and the evaporator box - even with evap cover removed - is only 5" so won't go in the middle. I removed the radio power unit, clock and Rt side duct. While the box slid straight up, still couldn't make the turn without squishing the box. Maybe that is how they did it.

That was too much like work in removing all the extra stuff & still fighting it. I finally modified Carpenters box similar to what I did on this one. Originally held the back on with screws which were not easy to get to either so the reason for using channels here. Slid it in the front. Not a big deal at all getting it in that way - although the box needs to be 1/2 shorter than the usual AC box to slide past the dash edges and clear and then come forward to screw into place.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
An "Endless Guess":

Maybe leave the glove box DISassembled as u have pictureed in the first pic above. Place pieces into the area behind the glove box opening and assemble the box there thru the glove box door opening.

Most likely the FACTORY installed the glove box liner to the dash BEFORE installing the dash. Or, placed liner in approximate position just before the dash was jockeyed into position.

How much trouble would it be to REMOVE each lower bolt ( one bolt each side on the lower mounting tab of dash near door jam), loosen mast jacket clamp at dash and tilt dash out and up letting it hinge slightly at the upper screws along the lower windshield.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Reminds me of a joke about a proctologist doing a valve job.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/23 21:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
An "Endless Guess":

Maybe leave the glove box DISassembled as u have pictureed in the first pic above. Place pieces into the area behind the glove box opening and assemble the box there thru the glove box door opening.

Most likely the FACTORY installed the glove box liner to the dash BEFORE installing the dash. Or, placed liner in approximate position just before the dash was jockeyed into position.

How much trouble would it be to REMOVE each lower bolt ( one bolt each side on the lower mounting tab of dash near door jam), loosen mast jacket clamp at dash and tilt dash out and up letting it hinge slightly at the upper screws along the lower windshield.

I did make the box so it goes in disassembled. Folds as you see, slides in and expands. A couple of screws holds it temporarily. Back of box also slides in from front and it's edges push into the channels I added to hold and lock it. Rest of screws then installed. Removal is just the reverse. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

As to the factory am sure they did install first. The install manual for dealer installed factory air does say mount the glovebox in position before mounting the dash to car. I was hoping someone might know how the dealers did it if one needed replacing and so far, no answers.

Don't think the hinge plan will work because of the length of some wires and the steering column which is just as big a pain to drop. Also not sure the curve of dash won't also cause a problem.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 21:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ron Carpenter does make the A/C boxes.

I keep thinking that there is a way to put a fan in the inside of the car, because the fan on the firewall is not good enough to move the air like I would like it.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 10:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved