Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

James Kallman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Dejavu??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I never have and never will own an Apple product - period.

And after using Windoze at home in the early years and as integral parts in various controls in the x-ray field until fairly recently, I have come to the opposite conclusion. I finally made the total switch at home when OSX came out -- over 10 years ago and will never look back.

Microsoft must have thought something was worthwhile at Apple since they copied a large piece of the Apple operating system and introduced it as Windows 95. Too bad they got away with it but since no one worried much about strong software patents 25 years ago they did. That was a very hard lesson learned and probably the main reason Apple goes after companies today for the slightest patent infringement.

Apple's slogan of "it just works" is not an understatement in my experience. Today's OSX has Unix underpinning so more secure right out of the box with no viruses for starters. True, there are some trojan exploits thru java and flash and WebKit that have made and still are making the rounds. Common sense and built in Unix precautions of not allowing root access or auto installs as Windoze finally implemented with their security center have mostly kept MAC problems to a minimum. When I had MS, it was a new antivirus package every few days that had to be downloaded and I still had a couple sneak thru.

I still shudder at all the issues, BSOD's and critical system reboots we had to endure with the Windoze stuff in medical -- some at the worst possible times. So many times Windoze would just quit in the middle of an exam for no reason. You couldn't add virus protection either because most of the virus packages are so resource intensive they slowed things down or would have some FDA issues with certification so another big concern.

As to price, yes you do pay more up front because Macs are loaded at the start with no delete options. There are included software packages which are either part of the operating system or come preloaded with the computer. That is a problem for some that don't need or want bells. But, when you configure comparable systems, I think you will find a very competitive environment. Dell was certainly surprised when they tried configuring one of theirs to be a similarly equipped system a couple of years ago -- and yes, for at least 5 years I've been one of those Apple fanatics. Macs though -- not into the phones and pads.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 19:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Oh Howard, one must experience the iPads and iPhones to be complete. There is nothing like it (them). Thanks, Steve...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/4 21:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Imagine the trip you'd have if you plugged an iPhone 5 with Apple Maps into a driverless car of the future and set out to cross the Hoover Dam!!!

Posted on: 2012/12/4 21:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Oh Howard, one must experience the iPads and iPhones to be complete. There is nothing like it (them). Thanks, Steve...

(o{}o)

I like the phone but would be a waste. Am too cheap to pay for a phone plan I would never use. A $20 TracFone card every 3 months does all I need to do. The iPhone pay as you go is a bit more expensive. Might be nice if I needed the features or programs or even played games but the iPod would do most of that if wi-fi was available.

I like the iPad very much and even played with one quite a while at the Apple store last week. Was tempted but decided I want the new iMac first. I'm spoiled just plugging the camera in and having iPhoto start up, do it's thing and then post directly to the website. Same with a file already on the computer. If the iPad could post directly, I'd be sorely tempted.

Quote:
Imagine the trip you'd have if you plugged an iPhone 5 with Apple Maps into a driverless car of the future and set out to cross the Hoover Dam!!!

Yes, Maps will give Apple a black eye for a long time. It was, is, and will be beta for some time to come. One of the big questions on Mac forums was why they didn't just add those 4 little letters and label it Beta like they did with Siri. It was a rushed product but with Apples so called maps partner Google refusing to provide the drive turn by turn feature, something had to be produced. For consolation, the head of IOS software who speculation says is apparently the one who refused to add the label and the guy down the chain directly responsible for the maps development project have both been fired.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 21:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Oh Howard, one must experience the iPads and iPhones ...

I use the old cell phone for seniors from my mother but Q furnished me with an iPhone 4 in order to "help" me. I have put it in my bottom drawer to after-ripen. Then it fell into oblivion. But unfortunately a new cell phone generation came and they furnished me with an iPhone 5. Now I have two phones in the drawer.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I7NHCy13ZLk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2012/12/4 23:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, there is a good market for used iPhones. You could turn your drawer clutter into some real money. Nice to see you posting again. Take care.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/5 10:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved