Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Media Blasting versus Sand Blasting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, I must say that, once again, this group has come to the aid of a puzzled Packard owner. I greatly appreciate the information and hope to put it to good use.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 14:56
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I had my '51 grit blasted professionally using either Aluninium Oxide or carborundum, excepting the large panels (trunk lid, roof, bonnet/hood). Door skins were done very carefully and slowly, and to the minimum extent. What was not grit blasted by them I stripped by hand with an angle grinder and stripper disks, which took quite a lot of time. (I think I should have opted for chemical stripping of the entire car).

I asked the company lots of questions to see if they knew the ropes, and they were experts. Very pleased with results, and all rust was removed (- and that was a big benefit). As mentioned, if panels are blasted too long and hard they will heat up and warp as well as stretch significantly when carborundum or Aluminium Oxide etc is used. Soda and glass beads are much less detrimental to the metal but I enquired, and the time it would take to strip with soda was double that of grit, and that meant big dollars. Personally I opted for the grit but in hindsight soda may have been wiser choice when I consider how many hours I spent manually stripping the remaining parts of my car.

You need to check that the blaster knows his stuff!

Alternative is chemical stripping, which I have heard is an excellent means. However it can be expensive.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 9:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

flatland
See User information
A friend of mine has a shop in Wichita, Ks and all they do is blasting. From industrial to automotive, but predominantly aviation. They have gone mostly to a plastic bead type material that they can mix and blend to achieve differing grits, much like sandpaper. That way they can change the aggressiveness to match the job.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 21:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved