Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: having the Packard coat of arms produced in EPS
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Here is what we ended up with. This is not an EPS file; they won't show on most browsers.

The variation in the gold color is to simulate reflections, to give the image life.

Attach file:

jpg  (571.34 KB)
2488_51f9986b99b66.jpg 474X474 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:06
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Saved this to my iPhone and ended up with this. Pretty cool.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.68 KB)
491_51f99b6033010.jpg 474X474 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The bird in that decal is definitely not the mother of those chicks, but is there to devour them! I can not identify the species, but it is not the noble swan!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nor is she a pelican IMHO. She closely resembles the cormorant species I often spy when I bird watch along the west coast. I enjoy the fact that we cannot agree given Packard's less than stellar performance on being definitive in this area. The birds adorning the hoods on 55-56 Packards amaze me still to this day.

BTW - nice artistic work. I'd buy a shirt or other such thing with that kind of quality being apparent.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The symbol of the pelican with her beak at her breast is ancient.
http://donna.hrynkiw.net/sca/pelican/

Cormorants seem sleeker than pelicans, but I think they look more like the symbolic pelican than an actual pelican does. So when someone sees what should be a pelican on a Packard hood ornament, to most it looks more like a cormorant. So much so, there's a magazine named after it.

I took this photo, most likely, at Pt Lobos, California, south of Pebble Beach of cormorants.

In 2 weeks, I'll be there again for Pebble. Can't wait.

My question is why was this a symbol of Packard automobiles? What did this symbol represent for an auto company? (The Packard family crest does not have a pelican or other bird.)

Regarding the change in color of the coat of arms posted, the original file may be a TIFF or a JPEG in CMYK mode (for press printing) instead of RGB. Macs don't have a problem with that, but PCs often invert the colors.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.34 KB)
1067_51f9cb109069e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/7/31 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Regarding the change in color of the coat of arms posted, the original file may be a TIFF or a JPEG in CMYK mode (for press printing) instead of RGB. Macs don't have a problem with that, but PCs often invert the colors.

This didn't seem the place for a long discussion of printing specifics, but...

The original file is an EPS cmyk file. That's Encapsulated PostScript. EPS files are not usually visible in browsers, so a jpg seemed more appropriate. I'm assuming that one is rgb, but it could be cmyk.

RGB is generally used for camera files or when getting pictures printed at Costco or Walgreens. jpg files are compressed and thus easier to send over the internet or for saving.

CMYK files are for printing, as in Magazines and the like. The colors are Cyan Magenta & Yellow; the addition file is a black plate. In four color printing K is black most places.

EPS files are vector files and thus are scalable; jpg files are bitmapped and typically cannot be enlarged much. Type is also a vector file....

Too much information or too little?

Posted on: 2013/8/1 1:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
Has anyone used a vynal print for their trunk emblem? My 51 Packard emblem is cracked and has almost no color to it so after seeing the blue logo I was wondering folks thoughts on having that printed and affixed to the original emblem. If this seems like a somewhat good Idea what was the original color of the emblem and how would I change the background color.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
OK folks, here is the deal. The bird on the coat of arms is obviously stylized, but remembling some kind of bird for sure. My opinion, after looking at photos and pictures of the three birds mentioned, is that it is a comorant. Here is why:

Bird 1: A Swan

Bird : A Pelican

Bird 3: A Comorant

Attach file:

jpg  (45.10 KB)
5003_51fa726d51952.jpg 960X540 px

jpg  (97.98 KB)
5003_51fa7287b0fa7.jpg 1057X1280 px

jpg  (43.85 KB)
5003_51fa72c08b021.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2013/8/1 9:37
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree. 3 pix worth 3,000 words. It's a Cormorant.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/1 10:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Has anyone used a vynal print for their trunk emblem? My 51 Packard emblem is cracked and has almost no color to it so after seeing the blue logo I was wondering folks thoughts on having that printed and affixed to the original emblem. If this seems like a somewhat good Idea what was the original color of the emblem and how would I change the background color.

You are welcome to the eps file (which has no background) if you need it. Be aware that it is not a match for what you have.

It would seem to me that a replacement emblem would be a far simpler solution. There is at least one company that redoes enamel emblems. It is pricey.....and I don't remember where it is, but someone will know.

The background color of an eps file is managed in adobe illustrator, For a bitmap image, Photoshop.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved