Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
271 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 269

CarFreak, kunzea, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What do you think about this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

GTO wrote:
Have you recived the sample? Does it match the seats in your car? I need cloth to redo the fron seat in my 48 Custom eight,I need the brown.

Yes, I received the sample. The pattern is a good match. The previous owner painted my '49 Custom a maroon color. The car was originally 'Sylvan Green' with the Green Shadow Check upholstery. The existing green upholstery is in poor shape and clashes with the maroon paint job.

The SMS cost for the Shadow Check material is pretty hefty. You can request a sample of what you are looking for via their website.
Quote:

Randy Berger Wrote:
The stance looks good to me. Why does it need springs??

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like it's riding about the same as my '50 and '49 and I don't think I have any spring problems.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 22:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
See where the lower trim strip crosses the rear hub shell cover? Project that trim line forward over the front hub shell cover and you'll see it sits about the same front and rear. Doesn't look to me like anything is amiss.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Nobody sees body issues on the front passenger fender and door?

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes but at least to me some small body issues on a Custom 8 are pretty trivial, the condition of the interior trumps any small issues like that.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I don't think that interior is 'all original, no changes'. The condition of the pristine door panels is inconsistent with the condition of the water-damaged pearwood panels. The piping on the upholstery looks too white to me [kinda like Joan Crawford's pool furniture]. I thought Packard used the same light beige piping on all four colors; blue, tan, green and maroon [I could be wrong, I only have factory original tan and green examples]. There is a surprising lack of fading even on the rear seat top... maybe the car was garaged and only driven at night. Packard did not use carpet binding on the joint going over the transmission hump. Excellent example of the early dash buttons that had the nearly invisible labels that couldn't be seen at night at all. All in all though, I wish my '49 22nd looked that nice.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 8:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD, I was also wondering about the piping, as far as I know there is no modern replica of that pattern and it sure looked correct in form to me so I made the assumption it was original - perhaps not? My 34 Eight has a piping not too different and some years back when I redid a seat cushion I scoured the world for some with no luck. In any case, assuming good mechanics a Custom 8 like that is very enticing though I've had two over the years and not likely to get another. I've always viewed the Custom Super Clippers and Custom 8s as the last Packards comparable in quality to the best of the prewar seniors.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 10:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved