Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Maintenance on lacquer paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Back in the early 1980s I went to the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Phoenix. Outside of the huge tent where the auction was underway I saw a guy detailing a Duesenberg Model J dual cowl phaeton using Meguire's. After that I figured if Maguire's was good enough for a Duesenberg, it was good enough for my cars as well and have used it ever since.

That said, however, I recently tried Griot's Garage polish and was quite impressed with how easily it went on and buffed out. I am now tempted to try the polishing clay bar that, according to all I have been reading, gently removes debris and contaminates from the surface while not damaging the paint. My Clipper has a DuPont paint job (not lacquer), but I have had lacquer paint jobs before. Here is the link to a website that describes the clay bar:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

Posted on: 2013/5/6 7:33
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
OK, I'll add my two cents. Best Other has Acrylic lacquer.
I washed Best Other with Dawn dish soap to remove all wax.
Then I clay-barred it and washed it again (took two days).
Then I polished it very carefully with Zaino's polish.
I haven't polished it since, but do wash it at least once a week.
That polish job was in 2007 - ask anyone how Best Other looks.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Whoa! You used Dawn dish soap on your lacquer paint job? That'a the kind of stuff that high school students use in their money-raising car washes!

Best Other does sound like good stuff, though. I do understand why you'd want to use a somewhat more heavy duty cleaner to get off multiple coats of wax. My car has a good paint job and plenty of wax on it too. The only thing I do with it now is wash it with McGuire's and use McGuire's Quick Detailer afterward. It's just a simply spray on that I rub in with a cloth-covered applicator, then buff out a couple of minutes later. I don't think it builds up much.

Randy, I think I might try your method sometime in the near future. I am pretty sure my paint is acrylic enamel. I know there is no clear coat. I don't know if acrylic lacquer in a product would work for my paint job. I tried to find Best Other via Google and came up blank. Zaino's is online (link:http://www.zainostore.com/). Sounds like good stuff.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 11:22
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Please explain,
"Then I clay-barred it and washed it again (took two days)."

Posted on: 2013/5/6 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Ooops!!! "Best Other" is the name of your car, not some product! Now I get it! It is beautiful, by the way.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 11:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Sorry for the mix-up. I thought everyone knew my 400 was named "Best Other". I used DAWN to get rid of all the wax that I had used previously. I used clay bar, which came with the Zaino polish, but I have used "Mothers" clay bar also. It will pick up dirt and fly shxt and any impurities in the paint. I saw a suggestion once and have used it on my windshield also. It cleans extremely well. My paint job was as smooth as a baby's butt.
My first trophy at a car show (1992) where they had "Best Ford" "Best Chebbie" "Best Mopar", etc. and finally for us lowly independents "Best Other". My friend thought that was an ideal name for the 400, and it has been that ever since.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved